does it make a difference what gauge wire you use for the power wire

if im running 100 watts and 2 10's i have 12 gauge wire and regular liniare rca's running

but i need a ratio and examples of what gauge wires can run to what size amps like i know 4-5 gauge can run to 1000 watts but my dad thinks diffrent and i need to know some examples

he also says 12 gauge electrical house wire will be beter is he correct ?

thanx

chris2low

TRUNK BUMPIN' AUDIO

does it make a difference what gauge wire you use for the power wire

if im running 100 watts and 2 10's i have 12 gauge wire and regular liniare rca's running

but i need a ratio and examples of what gauge wires can run to what size amps like i know 4-5 gauge can run to 1000 watts but my dad thinks diffrent and i need to know some examples

he also says 12 gauge electrical house wire will be beter is he correct ?

thanx

chris2low

theres no such thing as 5 gauge wire...you should use at least 8 gauge for 100 watts total. even 200 watts you're fine.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

well ac current is ALOT more powerful than DC. I know house wire like in the walls is usually solid copper. I used it once for a week then ripped that shit out lol. Just ge tan amp kit from walmart. Should be plenty for what you talked about

1997 2 Door Blazer

Bagged & Body Dropped

SBC/TH350

OK I WNT TO KNOW IF HOUSE HOLD WIRE 14 GAUGE CAN CARRY MORE WATTS THAN MY REGULAR 14 GAUGE POWER WIRE ?

OK WYHD U RIP IT OUT THOUGH I WANT TO GET 4 GAUGE WIRE BUT MY DAD INSIST ON I USE HOUSE WIRE CAUSE IT CAN CARRY MORE WATTS CAUSE HE WANTS TO SAVE ME MONEY INSTEAD OF BUYING HOBART WELDING 4 GAUGE WIRE BUT ITS 3.00 A FOOT

TRUNK BUMPIN' AUDIO

Well im sure it can carry more current. 120volts is = to like 80,000 watts or close to it ive heard. If its what you have and its fused and is working just fine for your needs dont change it. just sometimes easier to use stranded wire over a solid wire. Oh and could you click the CAPS lock button off lol

1997 2 Door Blazer

Bagged & Body Dropped

SBC/TH350

Well im sure it can carry more current. 120volts is = to like 80,000 watts or close to it ive heard. If its what you have and its fused and is working just fine for your needs dont change it. just sometimes easier to use stranded wire over a solid wire. Oh and could you click the CAPS lock button off lol

hahahh srry bout the caps lock

but i called a few people while i was waiting and i found out that you have no fuse big enough to power tthat wire and it could possibly blow your amp and that sux :censored: but any way thanx for all of you help and ill contact you all if i have any more ?'s

TRUNK BUMPIN' AUDIO

That is kinda false. When electricity flows through a wire, it mostly flows on the surface of the wire, not through the middle. This effect is more pronounced on high frequency AC than it is on DC or low frequency AC. This means that a "wire" of a given size that made up of many smaller strands can carry more power than a solid wire - simply because the stranded wire has more surface area. This is one reason why battery cables in your car and welding cables are made up of many very fine strands of smaller wire - it allows them to safely carry more power with less of that power being dissipated as heat. However, this "skin" effect is not as pronounced in a typical 12V DC automotive application, and the wire and cable used there is stranded for flexibility reasons.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D