Sundown Audio

Us Amps 400(1999 Version) Vs Sundown 1200d

benz280se

There are a few facts I would like to share when we decide on our next amp purchase.

Class d amps peak out with a rough sine wave, most modulate a high piched signal in output that will create a " busy tone" while you play your base/bass. The choke you see in most class d amps is an attempt to reduce this high freq. as a coil would in a passive subwoofer cross-over.

This tone will warm your subwoofer coil in addition to sound amplified. As for efficency, they are mostly 80-90% where older class A/B amps are 20-30% normally.

Class a/b amps distortort in a healthy square wave that is audible so you can turn down to prevent harm to delicate coil windings.

So this is truely a prefferance issue, sound clarity(class a/b ) or power(class D).

Newer class A/B's made by high end manufactures are impressively efficient as well as clear.

There are many varibles than I have mentioned here that are in play with all amps , speakers, and the envionments in which they operate that we might never see. We should completely grasp what is known to unlock the next resonant sound/ power finding.

I hope this information will help someone.

Thank you

Richard

There are a few facts I would like to share when we decide on our next amp purchase.

Class d amps peak out with a rough sine wave, most modulate a high piched signal in output that will create a " busy tone" while you play your base/bass. The choke you see in most class d amps is an attempt to reduce this high freq. as a coil would in a passive subwoofer cross-over.

This tone will warm your subwoofer coil in addition to sound amplified. As for efficency, they are mostly 80-90% where older class A/B amps are 20-30% normally.

Class a/b amps distortort in a healthy square wave that is audible so you can turn down to prevent harm to delicate coil windings.

So this is truely a prefferance issue, sound clarity(class a/b ) or power(class D).

Newer class A/B's made by high end manufactures are impressively efficient as well as clear.

There are many varibles than I have mentioned here that are in play with all amps , speakers, and the envionments in which they operate that we might never see. We should completely grasp what is known to unlock the next resonant sound/ power finding.

I hope this information will help someone.

Thank you

Richard

What the hell are you on about... put a scope on the output of a Class D amp some time and stop talking BS... The PWM modulation used in the output section of a modern class D amp is completely filtered from the output. There is no tone. Maybe if you have an old Directed amp with a leaked filter cap on the output low pass filter, then you might get a whistle through the outputs.

And no, they don't 'peak out' with a rough sine wave. They clip with a square wave, like any other amp. When you hit clipping all you're doing is allowing full rail voltage through the output device. Doesn't matter if its a BJT being driven by a musical signal or a Mosfet being driven by a PWM signal.

So no, I don't think your information will help someone, because it's hideously outdated.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Archived