Second Skin Audio

Elastomeric Coating Vs. 2 Stage Paint For Inside Box

alrite i started a thread on here not to long ago abou tthe elastomeric coating that steve used on the inside of the his box and didntt get many replys. i am pretty much done with glassin the inside of my box but i havent started sanding yet. i read about painting the inside with 2 stage paint making it alot louder becasue the waves travel better across a smooth hard surface. but the only problem is i would have to sand the inside to no end. i was plannin on sanding it to an extent and then sprayin it with spray filler primer and going from there. but i have a deadline in a few months and i dont know if this is going to be possible. another factor is that i will beable to see the inside of it and im planning on having it white either way. my other thought latley was to just use the elastomeric BUT being that its an elastic surface rather than a hardend surface, wouldnt that acually cause a DB loss? idk theres just so many damn factors in this i cant decide. i need advice on this lol

NOVEMBER 2008 SYSTEM OF THE MONTH!

ORIGINAL YUKON BUILD!

TEAM DTF

TEAM Rival Mobile Electronics

TEAM Xs Power

94 yukon

12 Rival C15s

50+ Boston mids and highs

15 Xs power D2400

600+ ft of 1/0

10+ gallons of resin

99 Silverado.

4 15" Treo SSX

Stetsom 14k2d

5 CD tech batteries

155+ daily

Team DTF

"did you just drive past my house in your stupidly loud car. if it was you, you knocked a vase off my fire place."

anyone???

ORIGINAL YUKON BUILD!

TEAM DTF

TEAM Xs Power

94 yukon

12 Rival C15s

15 Xs power D2400

600+ ft of 1/0

10+ gallons of resin

99 Silverado.

4 15" Treo SSX

Stetsom 14k2d

5 CD tech batteries

155+ daily

Team DTF

"did you just drive past my house in your stupidly loud car. if it was you, you knocked a vase off my fire place."

I used to be a painter and we used elastomeric paint alot, and once it dries it's really not as rubbery as you would think. I would use it inside a box

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

The hardened suraface such as resin will increase the tuning of your box, Im not sure about the elastomeric but I figure it wouldnt absorb any energy but actually increase it because of flex in the material but I could be totally wrong on that...

Edited by Andrew2944r

Team Ampere Audio

The hardened suraface such as resin will increase the tuning of your box, Im not sure about the elastomeric but I figure it wouldnt absorb any energy but actually increase it because of flex in the material but I could be totally wrong on that...

I don't think it would end up being thick enough to get any noticable flexing of material out of it, unless you're putting it in 2 inches thick :)

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

thanksss. when i went looking for it all i could find was this..

elastromatic.jpg

is this the stuff? lol

ORIGINAL YUKON BUILD!

TEAM DTF

TEAM Xs Power

94 yukon

12 Rival C15s

15 Xs power D2400

600+ ft of 1/0

10+ gallons of resin

99 Silverado.

4 15" Treo SSX

Stetsom 14k2d

5 CD tech batteries

155+ daily

Team DTF

thanksss. when i went looking for it all i could find was this..

elastromatic.jpg

is this the stuff? lol

no, we used actual paint, you can get it at any paint store, then you can get it whatever colour you want ;) it'll save you the painting it step anyway

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

no, we used actual paint, you can get it at any paint store, then you can get it whatever colour you want ;) it'll save you the painting it step anyway

alritey. i just read the thread on steves tahoe and it jsut said somthing about getting it at ace, which is ware that picture is from lol. but il go to a paint store tomarrow and seee what i can get. is it water based or oil based?

ORIGINAL YUKON BUILD!

TEAM DTF

TEAM Xs Power

94 yukon

12 Rival C15s

15 Xs power D2400

600+ ft of 1/0

10+ gallons of resin

99 Silverado.

4 15" Treo SSX

Stetsom 14k2d

5 CD tech batteries

155+ daily

Team DTF

alritey. i just read the thread on steves tahoe and it jsut said somthing about getting it at ace, which is ware that picture is from lol. but il go to a paint store tomarrow and seee what i can get. is it water based or oil based?

I'm pretty sure it was water based, we didn't do much oil base. just ask them about it, they will know tons more than me :)

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4