Second Skin Audio

Torres' Box Tuning Calculator - Updated 8/18

Torres

first look at this, just as an example as to why the physical and effective port can't be the same:

portbendexplained.png

now look at this:

boxportexplanation.png

the yellow port wall is 13.5". add .75" for the thickness of it at the bend. then you have another 4" on the second port piece. that gets you 18.25" of the **physical port** length, which is what is needed to be physically cut. measure down the middle of the port to get your **effective port** length. in that picture, the effective port length (which is what is entered in the calculator) is 24".

so the physical port length is what is needed to get your effective port length. notice if the port doesn't bend, and say it's a sub up, port back configuration with .75" thick wood, that the physical port length is only .75" shorter than the effective port length. reason being is that baffles and walls of the box are defaulted as part of the port length :)

i hope that cleared some things up for you

I understand this part, and thanks for getting back to me so fast, that's cool. I guess what throws me off is it says physical port length 15", ok, then it says that the port bends??? That's where I'm lost. If the box is 26" deep and I cut a piece 15" how does it bend? Or is it referring to the wall of the box?

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander
Sony 712

Soundqubed HDS208

Alpine MRV-M500

Transmission line enclosure

Soundqubed wiring

Knu rca

XS Power battery

CNF terminals

Sorry for being the idiot, I get it know I think, lol. The total of 22" refers to the physical port length and the angle to the walls of the box itself, I'm assuming this also has to be factored in. I believe I'm right, at least I'm hoping so, thanks

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander
Sony 712

Soundqubed HDS208

Alpine MRV-M500

Transmission line enclosure

Soundqubed wiring

Knu rca

XS Power battery

CNF terminals

i'm waiting on a couple parts to get my PC back up and running (don't want to install sketchup on this laptop, it's not mine) but if i can get it working, i can sketch what the port layout should look like. hopefully the pieces come soon. like yesterday

it only needs to be an L shape if the length of the port is longer than the depth of the box (or height, depending on port orientation). it doesn't necessarily have to be an L shape to get the tuning you need

for me to get tuning I want, port comes out to be longer then depth. So just make a bend so it will be same width everywhere?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey torres! Love ur calculator! Quick question, i am doing a wedge shaped box, and when i put in height number 2 nothing changes. so to make sure im right i went to the 12 volt calculators regular square box calculator, put in the same dimensions besides the height number 2 and i got the same as ur calculator. so in other words ur calculator isnt taking into account the height number 2.

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

correct! also make sure that in the end result, measuring down the middle of the port is the length that you entered into the calculator

Ok tnx. Does the volume of the box change?

whatever your final net volume says in the calculator is what the net volume is, whether it does bend or not.

Hey torres! Love ur calculator! Quick question, i am doing a wedge shaped box, and when i put in height number 2 nothing changes. so to make sure im right i went to the 12 volt calculators regular square box calculator, put in the same dimensions besides the height number 2 and i got the same as ur calculator. so in other words ur calculator isnt taking into account the height number 2.

depth 2 must be higher than depth 1, and height 2 must be less than height 1. otherwise they won't be taken into effect. i think this may be why you're not getting a different volume. i may try to fix that so either number could be in either box, but may prove tricky when the numbers get assigned to the variables for the wedge shape volume block i have coded. that part was TOUGH getting accurate. the cut sheets would also need to be tweaked. could be for a later update *possibly*

Archived