Sonic Electronix

Hes got two Rockford Fosgate P2 12's and a Rockford Fosgate p-500-2 and a RF 1 farad cap. He was playing in the air tonight, lower than usuall and then the music stopped. We go to the trunk smoke is coming out of one of the vents. Only the left. The right will play, but i think the amp goes into protect. Any Ideas?

sub is blown. Some amps have that feature where they will go into protect if they are picking up a blown sub.

Worst case scenario, amp is fried too.

well the amp will turn on fine, with the car on acc, i unplugged the speaker wire from the amp. He got his system was installed at best buy so its under warranty, but why would it blow. He has had them less than 6 months and doesnt abuse them.

well the amp will turn on fine, with the car on acc, i unplugged the speaker wire from the amp. He got his system was installed at best buy so its under warranty, but why would it blow. He has had them less than 6 months and doesnt abuse them.

Theres a million things that could go wrong... maybe the amp was giving the subs a cliped signal. my guess is that they were not broken in right... also possible that the sub was defective. try unhooking the wires from the blown sub and hook them into the sub that works to make sure he didnt fry a channel in the amp. if it works then just get another sub or ask best buy for replacement.

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

a lot of things can come into play.

They could be getting a clipped signal either because of the HU, the songs played, or from the amp not seeing enough voltage which all will send a clipped signal which will cause the death of a woofer real quick.

Box could be a factor as well, or it could just be a bad woofer from the factory, hard to tell when you dont build it yourself.

Theres a million things that could go wrong... maybe the amp was giving the subs a cliped signal. my guess is that they were not broken in right... also possible that the sub was defective. try unhooking the wires from the blown sub and hook them into the sub that works to make sure he didnt fry a channel in the amp. if it works then just get another sub or ask best buy for replacement.
a lot of things can come into play.

They could be getting a clipped signal either because of the HU, the songs played, or from the amp not seeing enough voltage which all will send a clipped signal which will cause the death of a woofer real quick.

Box could be a factor as well, or it could just be a bad woofer from the factory, hard to tell when you dont build it yourself.

It sucks cuz all his shit has been messing up some how, his Pioneer head unit fried, "defective" and now this happens two weeks before i install his new system. And how can a channel fry if its bridged? He bought the box loaded from RF (best buy). The amp brand new, but of course when i was looking back there to disconect the wires i saw his start up and RCA's were ran with his power. (no wonder how they install so fast....)

It sucks cuz all his shit has been messing up some how, his Pioneer head unit fried, "defective" and now this happens two weeks before i install his new system. And how can a channel fry if its bridged? He bought the box loaded from RF (best buy). The amp brand new, but of course when i was looking back there to disconect the wires i saw his start up and RCA's were ran with his power. (no wonder how they install so fast....)

Yes even if they are bridged they can still fry... I would just go to best buy and tell them the situation. They should help you out and that sub should be under warrenty and so should the amp. Go to best buy. I fried a 4 channel ma audio amp that was bridged.

Edited by fis10

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

Yes even if they are bridged they can still fry... I would just go to best buy and tell them the situation. They should help you out and that sub should be under warrenty and so should the amp. Go to best buy.

thats what i said, but hes getting a RE SX 15, and he just wanted this to last, but i guess it was too much to ask. Now i said go to Best buy have them replace or fix ur shit, and keep it in the box and sell it new. And use it to pay for the amp, sub and batt. But idk what hes gonna do.

thats what i said, but hes getting a RE SX 15, and he just wanted this to last, but i guess it was too much to ask. Now i said go to Best buy have them replace or fix ur shit, and keep it in the box and sell it new. And use it to pay for the amp, sub and batt. But idk what hes gonna do.
Anyways it doesnt cost anything but time to ask them if they are under warrenty. Hell i got 2 subs from crutchfield and blew them off a big amp for months and they kept sending me new ones. lol warrenties are magic just use them

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts