Sonic Electronix

So I just picked up that 10 inch JL Audio sub I posted on about a week ago. Now all I need is some kind of power for it; I don't really know what the difference is between a receiver and an amplifier. From what I can tell, a receiver is basically an amplifier with some kind of media reader (i.e. CD, DVD). Obviously, receivers are much more expensive per watt, and pretty much all of them are 5.1 or 7.1 sound, where I only need 2.1.

Considering that I want to get the sound from my laptop, which would I be better off with, an amplifier or a receiver?

Ok so someone in another thread reccomended a sub amp.

But would a sub amp be able to power my regular desk speakers too? Would it have enough channels?

He reccomended: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=300-804

What I said in the topic that got locked:

"So, I have a 10 inch JL Audio at 4 Ohms, 150 RMS, as well as two desk speakers at 8 ohms, 50 RMS each. According to my techie friend, this will cause serious problems if I hook the system into a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver. He suggested a 2.1 receiver, but those don't really seem to exist.

So, apparently, I need an amp that has a crossover (to separate the frequencies for the sub and speakers, right?). Also, I don't know if an amp with with more channels than I need would suffer the same problem as a receiver.

Based on these facts above, can anyone recommend a good amp for me? I am in the dark right now, sorry. "

from the other thread,

no a sub amp wont do speakers too, it wont even have the frequency range?

Is this going to be a home theater type setup that you can plug your laptop to for music?