Sonic Electronix

I have found a lot of higher end subs with big coils will smell a little bit the first time you get some heat in the coils, I think it's just excess glue/solvents/activator boiling off.

You don't want to do it too much though :P Clipping will cook them in a hurry.

There's a difference in the smells IMO (sorry OP! heh) between hot gluely coil and burny coil. To me glue smells kind of rich but when you're actually burning the enamel on the coil it smells acrid like burnt leaves. Fortunately I don't smell either of them too often...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

to answer the questions, yes there are distinct smells a subwoofer gives off

a smell of the glue/varnish burning off during break in

and the eerily similar, but much more harmful, burning copper smell, common to all electronics (i've smelled it on everything from amps to hu's to unfused power lines that shorted)

as long as your subs arent being clipped too badly or overpowered (which they arent on that amp afaik) you should be fine, and it's probably just the smell of the varnish, and should go away after like 10-20 hours of beating on them

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

to answer the questions, yes there are distinct smells a subwoofer gives off

a smell of the glue/varnish burning off during break in

and the eerily similar, but much more harmful, burning copper smell, common to all electronics (i've smelled it on everything from amps to hu's to unfused power lines that shorted)

as long as your subs arent being clipped too badly or overpowered (which they arent on that amp afaik) you should be fine, and it's probably just the smell of the varnish, and should go away after like 10-20 hours of beating on them

^^^ 2x

CURRENTLY UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Team SMD (Street Motivated Devastation)

Chariot.gif

Good shit guys. I've had pretty good luck with all the subs I've owned over the years. (DD, Kicker, RE, JL, Onyx, Fi) I blew one of my 15 L7s, first time I released the magic smoke. :lol: Was quite a shock to me.

b84a.jpg

Then the old Onyx LSX 18s, seen here:

b72f.jpg

I believe it's very close or the same as the RE HC. Originally had two, but went to one when I got my Impala. Put my Orion 2500d at 1 ohm on it and it died after a few weeks. Reconed it, lasted a few more weeks and died again. They'd take 1,200 all day and all night though. I miss those subs, they sounded amazing.

2001 Chevy Impala

Eclipse CD7200 mkii

Cactus Sounds 5kw

Sundown 100.4

(2) Fi BTL 18s (walled)

ID 6.5s (2 sets)

Iraggi 320 amp Alt

XS Power Batts

KnuKonceptz Wiring

MidwestSPL Scores:

152.0 Advanced 2

136.1 Extreme 3