Sundown Audio

Keeping Amps Cool

white4d96

I am having issues with my sub amp getting hot; not enough for it to go into protect (if the feature even works) but too hot to touch from about 15 minutes of full tilt plus baking in my trunk all day. Any ideas on keeping the amp cool? I was thinking about adding on to my "amp rack" to seal it in and maybe set some fans in the sides to blow air onto/into it, but I wouldn't know where to start with that...current amp is this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1197678618474

I plan to upgrade to this one when money allows; it's rated at '600rms' which knowing sony will be a little less. Perfect for what I want: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_15366_...R6001.html#tabs

Any ideas on devices or methods to keep the amps cool? Someone said the current amp may be getting hot from clipping, but this is a recent issue; it doesn't get that hot when the temperature is in the fifties or even lower sixties.

Too many projects, too little time...

or maybe I shoudl just stock up on those little blue freeze packs =P

On a serious note, how would I wire up either of those setups? I would want to run a switch on the dash for them. I think the bigger fan would be easier since it's already 12v powered, right? But how about those little computer fans?

Too many projects, too little time...

sometimes amps get hot when they dont have enuff power from ur alt or batt.. u may try to upgrade ur power too it will only help anyways

my setup:

alpine iva-w205

fosgate t30001

rf t8004

re 6x9

2 re sx 15's

4 inch fosgate fanatic q components

hertz 6.5 comp

kicker 1/0 wiring

ipod direct connect

2 optimas batts

in the middle of rebuilding

GRROUNDZERO.jpg

Think big 3 would help?

possibly im just talkn from wat ive seen b4..when amps have smooth current flow they dont have to work as hard

my setup:

alpine iva-w205

fosgate t30001

rf t8004

re 6x9

2 re sx 15's

4 inch fosgate fanatic q components

hertz 6.5 comp

kicker 1/0 wiring

ipod direct connect

2 optimas batts

in the middle of rebuilding