Sonic Electronix

Alternator Power More Than Car Can Handle ?

hey guys, this question is more or less directed to Steve, or anybody else with multiple alternators. i can have a 290 amp alternator made for my vehicle for 449$ first off, is this a good deal ?

and secondly, i asked the guys at DC power and they said my vehicle cant run multiple alternators in unison. I am curious how i am going to be able to achive more alternating amperage for when i add in a 2nd amp, and then further down the road upgrade my 2 amplifiers to more powerfull ones.

Is there a way to by-pass the onboard computer of the vehicle or somthing to allow it to have that extra alternating power ?

thanks guys ! i am just trying to get this out of the way as i will likely quickly be grabbing one of thease, And a new head-unit before i get my new 18 BTL's to replace my SX's.

-andrew

smdsignature.jpg

what kind of vehicle?

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

i think the multiple alternator setup is more of a "physical fitment" issue than a "too much current" issue

meade's truck, he has a big ass space to put all those alternators (and quite a few other guys on here have similar setups)

your vehicle, at the very least doesnt have a production dual/triple/quad alt bracket, and in some cars it just isnt physically possible to get it in there

so either YOU make brackets, get alts, and make it all work, or deal with just having one alt, and get a battery bank to back up whatever amp you choose to go with (which is what i'm doing, and dozens of other people on here)

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

if memory serves me that LHS has an inverted V6 and nearly no room to physically fit a second alt. see if anyone has a large case conversion kit for it and put a 300+ amp alt on it with a smaller pulley to increase idle output. check with MLA to see if they have a Pro Series module for your application, it has a high low switch that allows you to run a lower voltage all day and flip a switch to bump to 15.3 (or so) volts when you are at full tilt.

Also i think MechMan offers an adjustable voltage regulator upgrade with a remote control on most of his alternators, this would serve the same purpose as the MLA module.

With enough batteries you will be fine. I ran one 200a alt with 5 batteries for two years with no problems before i upgraded to the new set up. Just couldn't roll for hours at full volume but who can stand 150+db's for that long anyway.

Edited by sully

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

yes sir sully is right u hve no room for a second alt and either a MLA or an alt with an regulator to help boost your volts oh do your car run a 1 wire plug cant remember? but in the end of things itll be safer to just run a bank of batteries.

I know a lil about everything so dont call me Mr. Know it All.

I'm running duals from DC Power and the MLA. I recommend you get the biggest alt that Robbie say's you can run in your car along with an MLA and back it up with as big of a battery bank as u can fit. The MLA is the smarter route to go then the external regulator because the MLA bypass's your charging voltage but not the alt censoring. So if you were to overdrive your alt and it started getting too hot, it would still normally shut itself off.3

And $449, if it's for a DC alt? its worth it!!

Random vids of the Avalanche My link

Team Bass-Hz