Second Skin Audio

Any Adverse Affect Of Mounting Sub In Port Wall?

Maybe a folded horn would work.I have 18" high 50"wide and 30" deep.

here is a quick sketch

box.jpg

Chad

07 Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab

Alpine 9885, Sundown SAX 100.4, updating components soon,

TC Sounds 3000 dvc 2, 3.1 ft^3 tuned to 31Hz, Sundown SAZ 3000,

4 ought power and ground, 2 Deep cycle batts.

this is the down firing enclosure I built for my center console.

100_1660.jpg

and this is what is in it.

TC3k15.jpg

Chad

07 Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab

Alpine 9885, Sundown SAX 100.4, updating components soon,

TC Sounds 3000 dvc 2, 3.1 ft^3 tuned to 31Hz, Sundown SAZ 3000,

4 ought power and ground, 2 Deep cycle batts.

I built a sealed box almost just like that in a Cutlass Supreme for 2 Crunch ProCast 18s back when. They had an Orion 2150SX pushing them and sounded AWESOME. The subs were ideal for ported boxes, but I put them in a small sealed enclosure for a shallower roll-off.

Your box will probably pound like that if you're in the ballpark port volume-wise.

That's a quasi-series tuned 6th order bandpass. Sub and port firing into another chamber which is itself ported to the listening environment. Although the 'front' chamber and port are the same thing here. No horn function here, it's not long enough (might work as a really high tuned horn with no tapering and a compression chamber but that, in itself, doesn't work...)

If you want to be safe, you make the 'front chamber' large enough that it doesn't act as a ported enclosure, more of just a guide for airflow.

Otherwise you make the front chamber really long, like jack's sleeper build, which either makes it behave like a tapped horn of sorts or a genuine series tuned 6th order bandpass. Just have to be very careful with phasing if you have multiple subs at different points along the 'mouth' of the pseudo-horn.

If you're only running 1 sub (or row of subs all spaced the same distance from the ends) then this should be less of an issue but you still have to be aware of the difference in phase of the waves. You might end up with an EXTREMELY peaky box, where only a very narrow group of frequencies cause the rear wave to align sufficiently with the front wave.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!