Sonic Electronix

The current amp I have draws 400 watts and requires a grounded outlet. The outlets in my house are not grounded, and I don't want to risk an electrical fire or anything of the like. I've been looking at "powerpacks" such as these http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DPP-600HD-P...bxgy_auto_img_a; that model contains a sealed, 600 watt battery and has three grounded outlets. Is this a feasible solution to my problem? Thank you for any and all help in advance.

The current amp I have draws 400 watts and requires a grounded outlet. The outlets in my house are not grounded, and I don't want to risk an electrical fire or anything of the like. I've been looking at "powerpacks" such as these http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DPP-600HD-P...bxgy_auto_img_a; that model contains a sealed, 600 watt battery and has three grounded outlets. Is this a feasible solution to my problem? Thank you for any and all help in advance.

Every outlet is grounded or else electricity wouldnt work, The 3 prong outlets are just a thing called a double safe. idk if this answers your ? though

Are you saying that your house doesnt have the 3 prong outlets? if so just buy an adapter from 3 prong to 2 prong.

Edited by Slapuhho

4 18's, low power and lots of gay fur.

Team gg

Team DOA

My Videos :)

I did. The deal is (at least what my dad said) is that our house is old enough that the wiring can't take that kind of wattage. Whatever the case is, the amplifier stopped working on account of something. So it is more an issue of the wiring than the grounding, and I thought the powerpack might help because you can charge it up gradually and then hook the sub into it.

Every outlet is grounded or else electricity wouldnt work, The 3 prong outlets are just a thing called a double safe. idk if this answers your ? though

Are you saying that your house doesnt have the 3 prong outlets? if so just buy an adapter from 3 prong to 2 prong.

BIZZ! wrong...

Barretto MotorsportsTeam RFCTeam CHMTeam SMD "Blow Sand"Live Your Life Without Boundaries... http://www.jeffbarretto.acnrep.com/d_oppor...A=US_EN&BW=

if the amp draws 400 watts, that is only about 3.3333 amps at 120 volts. more home circuts are designed to handle 15 amps of current ( if it is wired with 14 ga wire as most are)

The easiest / proper way

( other than updating the wiring) to fix the non grounded outlet problem is to install a GFCI outlet in place of the other outlet.

keep in mind if the wiring is aluminum you may need a different type of outlet and be very carefull to not nick the wiring when replacing it.

edit: on second thought if you do not have much electrical experience you should leave the work to an electrician. I would hate to see you get fried or start a fire.

I am not an electrician, I just have a fair bit of electrical experience. I am not from the U.S. so I have no idea about the electrical codes in your area either.

Edited by testtones

How can I get my dad to believe me? He believes that the wiring in our house is much too old and can't handle the power. He went as far to say that I most likely started melting the wire while drawing the 400 watts.

if the wire started to melt at 400 watts, then the circuits for the refrigerator, oven (if its electric), stove (electric), washer and dryer would be gone already since they draw close to 1000+ watts some of the time

Fridges and stuff draw way over 400w... Go find a fan heater, flip it over, read the sticker - it'll be like 2000w.

The guy with the adaptors and blah blah above doesn't know AC home wiring from a hole in the ground obviously. You don't actually need ground for the amp to work (it's just a safety feature) but it's an important safety thing if you get a short on mains. Also you may get some wierd ground loops, 50hz hum and the such, due to not having a common ground.

Using one of those powerpack things doesn't help you either. You can't just get a ground where there is no ground.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!