Sonic Electronix

OK so I feel like a 31 year old High School Senior asking this but it really bothers me so here we go. Don't have the money on hand for an O scope right now and I am tuning by ear. I have replaced all my amps with Zapco and they have clipping sensors and warning lights and NONE of them turn on at any time while I am playing. The question is on some notes the bass starts to sound really crazy, instead of Booom Booom it will start to go Baaahm Baaahm (as in open your mouth and say ahhhhhhh) At the same volume level though it will sound great on other songs but certain ones just sound like crap. Im running 2 MTX 9500s off a Zapco 9.0 in the factory recommended ported enclosure. Got 80hz down as low as possible on the deck, no boost anywhere whatsoever, running the Zapco EQ with 16V line driver.

My possible scenarios

1. I dim light like a mutherfucker at that level-maybe need more current? If so why does almost every other frequency in the range sound good?

2. Limitations of my ported box?

3. Shitty tuning?

4. Any other suggestions?

Like I said n00b question! :help:

Starting From Scratch!!

Some songs the bass will sound like crap on my sub but I don't think it's bad tuning I just think that's how the bass is on that particular song.

It might be bad tuning or voltage drops, idk though.

But I know what you're talking about cause I notice it too.

2002 Toyota Solara SLE V6

Headunit - Pioneer DEH P3900MP

Door Speakers - Polk Audio db6501 6-1/2" 2-way

Component System

Rear Speakers - Polk Audio db691

Speaker Amp - DD C4b

Sub - 2 12" Alpine Type R's in a 2 @ 33hz

Sub Amp - DD M2A

Electrical - Big 3 - Stinger HPM 1/0 guage Wires, Optima Yellow Top Battery, 180/120 DC HO Alternator w/ MLA

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

refs: DC_Power_Kyle

Id say Check Electrical first...

Then Check tuning of your box.

Sounds like you dont have enough juice to supply the demand of the woofers and amps

It might be for my case cause in my sig you'll see.

I have 2 Type R's and only 300w going to each of them and a stock alt (80amp).

My lights do dim a little bit sometimes.

2002 Toyota Solara SLE V6

Headunit - Pioneer DEH P3900MP

Door Speakers - Polk Audio db6501 6-1/2" 2-way

Component System

Rear Speakers - Polk Audio db691

Speaker Amp - DD C4b

Sub - 2 12" Alpine Type R's in a 2 @ 33hz

Sub Amp - DD M2A

Electrical - Big 3 - Stinger HPM 1/0 guage Wires, Optima Yellow Top Battery, 180/120 DC HO Alternator w/ MLA

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

refs: DC_Power_Kyle

Id say Check Electrical first...

Then Check tuning of your box.

Sounds like you dont have enough juice to supply the demand of the woofers and amps

OK, The big 3 is next and a new battery, do you really think that would make certain frequencies shitty and others still sound good?

Thanks for the help!

Starting From Scratch!!

OK, The big 3 is next and a new battery, do you really think that would make certain frequencies shitty and others still sound good?

Thanks for the help!

yes, your amps will pull more current at certain hz, usually lower.

u should upgrade the electrical though.

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpgth_140x100square.jpgth_140x100rev2animated.gifsoundigital.pngth_Banner_140x100.jpgn221468318568_2854.jpg

8_RedDevillogo.pngteamtexflex-1.jpg

yes, your amps will pull more current at certain hz, usually lower.

u should upgrade the electrical though.

I though that might be the case but for some reason I was under the impression that lower frequencies needed more power but it's the higher frequencies that sounded bad at high volume. I turned 80hz way down and the amp is set at 65hz. Maybe I am crazy and it's the other way around! :huh:

Starting From Scratch!!

Archived