Second Skin Audio

Why Are Ports So Long?

bigg_will

Okay, i know its a newb question but why are ports so long? checking through this forum i see you guys putting a lot of emphasis on how big the ports are. Out of all the boxes ive ever made, i had just made it to the specs...

2002 Chevy Blazer 2 door

1-18" Fi BTL, 1 T2000.1bd, 8 ft box before displacement tuned to 33Hz, Big 3 done in 1/0

Havent been metered yet

Creativity. People use long, short, wide, deep, tall ports to pretty much just be different. Also another main reason is that you can't achieve a certain desired tuning frequency by just doing things according to specs all the time. Its mostly due to tricks of the trade along with being simply easier in many circumstances to make a long slot port than 4 round ones with added material & costs.

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

ooooo. i was thinking that you guys werent tuning them and just getting a really big port to be loud or something...

2002 Chevy Blazer 2 door

1-18" Fi BTL, 1 T2000.1bd, 8 ft box before displacement tuned to 33Hz, Big 3 done in 1/0

Havent been metered yet

when your using 16 sq" of port area per ft3 of volume you need alot of lenght to tune in the low 30's. Two examples; A 6ft3 box with 80sq" of port area (only 13.3 per 1 ft3) tuned to 32 hz needs to be 28" long. A box I'm planning for my Three tens will only be 2.4 ft3 with 60 sq" of port area tuned to 31 hz needs to be 70" long.

so it has to do with how big the ports are and how low they are tuned. Take the 6ft3 box for example. If you used two 4" ports (25 sq" or port area) and tuned to 4o hz it the ports only need to be 16.5" long. But you would have a very high tuning and alot of port noise do to the lack of port area

Archived