Wiring Dvc Sub With 2 Channel Amp

I am considering purchasing a second amp like the one I have now (XM-ZR1252, see sig) to power my subs. If I were to buy another amp, I would run each sub off of one amp, since the amps are not rated at 2 ohms. For example, the left channel would go to VC1 and the right to VC2. Both channels are set with the same gain knobs. Would this be alright to use? The subs are each in their own chambers, so I am not as worried about interference should the gains between the two amps be absolutely perfect.

End question is, is it okay to run, say, left channel and right channel to respective VCs on a DVC sub?

Too many projects, too little time...

I am considering purchasing a second amp like the one I have now (XM-ZR1252, see sig) to power my subs. If I were to buy another amp, I would run each sub off of one amp, since the amps are not rated at 2 ohms. For example, the left channel would go to VC1 and the right to VC2. Both channels are set with the same gain knobs. Would this be alright to use? The subs are each in their own chambers, so I am not as worried about interference should the gains between the two amps be absolutely perfect.

End question is, is it okay to run, say, left channel and right channel to respective VCs on a DVC sub?

Not necessarily a good idea but it sounds like you already have your mind made up

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

I have just been planning different ideas out, and this one at the moment is the least expensive, since I can get a BNIB amp for about 60% off MSRP. I know you get what you pay for, but even this purchase would be a stretch for me.

If there is a way I could bridge the subs that would be awesome, but, again, dual 4 ohm voice coils and an amp that isn't rated at 2 ohms bridged=fail for me.

UNLESS

...could I maybe just put the subs at 8 ohms, bridge to the amp, and gain it up to the rated power? Or would it clip all to hell?

I have just been planning different ideas out, and this one at the moment is the least expensive, since I can get a BNIB amp for about 60% off MSRP. I know you get what you pay for, but even this purchase would be a stretch for me.

If there is a way I could bridge the subs that would be awesome, but, again, dual 4 ohm voice coils and an amp that isn't rated at 2 ohms bridged=fail for me.

UNLESS

...could I maybe just put the subs at 8 ohms, bridge to the amp, and gain it up to the rated power? Or would it clip all to hell?

I've always run DVC subs off a single channel each so I really don't know how they'd respond with each coil being run off separate channels, I just know that it's not advised to do so for obvious reasons.

I understand how running them off separate channels could be a problem. If I were to run them at 8 ohms each, they would only get half the power as 4 ohms, right? Could I adjust the gains back to the 4 ohm level?

i would say no cause different channel get different signals at different times

justin smith

1996 mercury grand marquis

20'' bentchi b7 lexani n3000 245/35/20

cactus 5kw at 1ohm dcr(beast)

2 18'' btl's in a 14.15^ft wall tuned to 35hz with 210'' of port

kicker zx650.4

componets in still the works

200amp motorcraft alt

xs power d3100 (beast)

kenwood ddx512 h.u.

you mean my EX? the one I dumped? just remember every time you kiss her that i used to cum in her mouth

and BTW your girl just called me....

pure pwnage

I understand how running them off separate channels could be a problem. If I were to run them at 8 ohms each, they would only get half the power as 4 ohms, right? Could I adjust the gains back to the 4 ohm level?
My advice to you is to bite the bullet, get rid of the amp you currently have and buy one that can sufficiently run both of your subs. Going down the path you've got your eye on will only lead to bad things. The gain is there to be able to match the amp with the input voltage it's getting from the source so the amp works as efficiently as possible, it's not there to be used as a way to increase the volume. Set the gain too high and you'll have distortion which can lead to blown subs and/or blown amp.

Better to do it right the first time than to save a few dollars up front cause most likely you'll end up doing it twice, which in most cases ends up being more expensive than if you had done it right the first time.

Good point. I'll just save the cash and look at a real amp.
You'll be glad you did.

I feel your pain, I've been patiently waiting to install my system until I get my hands on the final piece I need. It's been very hard to do but I want to do this one right from the get go. But man, everytime I see my head unit I get more and more anxious.