Sonic Electronix

Tips/suggestions for building amp rack

I'm building an amp rack that's going behind my rear seats, I have to flush mount them because there is no clearance between the back of the seat and the board the amps are going on. This is how i'm planning on building it:

Rear view

rack.jpg

Front view

Untitled.jpg

As you can see there are no ends in the recessed area where the amps are going, this is how I plan on building said area:

IMGP2078.jpg

My question is this; the material that i'm using is 3/8" particle board, since it's so thin I was going to glue it together and then reinforce it with fiberglass. Should I also use some nails or screws on it as well or instead of fiberglass? I plan on painting the face of the rack once it's done so if nails are suggested I would have no problem recessing them and filling in the holes so it's nice and clean and ready for paint.

Any suggestions?

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

are u worried about heat? or are u gonna show the guts?

Edited by t-money

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

My high school shop teacher had me & another kid build him a box for 2 15's that he was gonna run in his house. We built it out of 3/4" particle board & even predrilled we had problems with it splitting. I think brad nails and a good coat of resin would hold it fine. But a bead of liquid nails on the joints would probably be better. I also think some computer fans to move the air around would help a lot with the heat.

Current System:

Pioneer 6900 HU

Front Stage: (for now)

Soundstream tarantula 5.25 in the doors

Soundstream tarantula 4x6 in the dash

Kenwood 400.4 for mids & highs

Bass:

4 Soundstream RW-12's

2 Power Acoustik Stax 4000/1D's

single chamber box, 2.65 cubes.

Currently under the knife being bagged

Rebuilding err'thang

are u worried about heat? or are u gonna show the guts?
That's part of the reason I decided not to put ends on, I figured the air moved by the subs would help keep the amps from getting too hot. I thought about showing the guts but decided against it. I'm just trying to figure out what would be the best way to securely build and brace the area where the amps are going, I don't want things falling apart on me.
I think brad nails and a good coat of resin would hold it fine. But a bead of liquid nails on the joints would probably be better. I also think some computer fans to move the air around would help a lot with the heat.
I'll keep an eye things and see if heat becomes an issue, it gets pretty hot here in Sac so if it's going to be an issue it'll show up sooner rather than later.

So are you saying liquid nails would be better than nails + resin?

I just got another idea:

I was thinking about cutting a 1" x 1" brace to set along the length of the sidewall where it meets the back of the panel and screw in the brace from the inside of the opening as well as from the front of the panel with the screw holes from the front panel filled in. The brace would be the same length as the side panels it would be glued to. Think any more bracing or reinforcing would be needed to secure the base of the opening to the side panels?

brace.jpg

Edited by SQMonte

I think that idea looks great. I use liquid nails (blue & gold tube) one time I glued two pieces of mdf together with it to see how good it held & it pulled the mdf apart. Its def some strong stuff. I still like to resin the outside of my boxes but you wont have any pressure on this piece so it should be fine. the 1" cleats are def a good idea.

Current System:

Pioneer 6900 HU

Bass:

4 Soundstream RW-12's

Rebuilding err'thang

I think that idea looks great. I use liquid nails (blue & gold tube) one time I glued two pieces of mdf together with it to see how good it held & it pulled the mdf apart. Its def some strong stuff. I still like to resin the outside of my boxes but you wont have any pressure on this piece so it should be fine. the 1" cleats are def a good idea.
Do you think it would be necessary to so anything more than liquid nails to secure the base of the amp mount? There probably won't be much pressure on this but what i'm worried about is the weight of the amps. The bumps and vibrations of the road i'm sure will test the structural integrity of this piece so that's why I want to make sure i'm dotting all the I's and crossing all the T's.

Id def throw some screws in it too. like some coarse thread 1 1/4's I know everyone has there own thing but i do screws every 3". Id rather have way too many that not enough.

Current System:

Pioneer 6900 HU

Bass:

4 Soundstream RW-12's

Rebuilding err'thang

Id def throw some screws in it too. like some coarse thread 1 1/4's I know everyone has there own thing but i do screws every 3". Id rather have way too many that not enough.
do they make them thin enough to go through 3/8" particle board w/o splitting the material?

do they make them thin enough to go through 3/8" particle board w/o splitting the material?

My fault, forgot you were using the 3/8 particle board. I think that if your careful and you predrill everything that they would be fine. My previous particle board experience was not so good (but I was also rushed by an impatient teacher) Brad nails would help a lot. 1 1/4" long and hold pretty good, if you went with brad nails id def resin and mat the back of the rack, that would be really strong in my opinion. Id go for it, take as many precautions as you can and see how it turns out. between resin, nails, and some glue it should be fine.

Current System:

Pioneer 6900 HU

Bass:

4 Soundstream RW-12's

Rebuilding err'thang