DC Sound Lab

Tuning frequency for box for Level 3 12's?

well, they play a part...but the box is the largest factor, i believe. My box is tuned to 32-34 Hz...but my car peaks at 48-49 Hz.

If I am wrong about that someone please kick me in the head :)

I will hardly even look at the specs of the Sub When I go to tune a box....and the box usually comes out within at most a db or two of what I was aiming for.

so how do you know what size box to build if you hardly consider the specs of the sub?

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

He means he doesnt look at the specs of the subs when tuning the box, because what determines what frequency your box is tuned to is the length of your port and how big your box is.

The bigger your box is, the less port length you need. Port area also affects tuning, the less port area you have, the less port length you need but that can also cause port noise if you dont have enough port area.

7e770874-fae3-49d5-ad82-4cabf106fead_zps d3abdb88-50bf-42d8-9628-e257559ec11d_zps

IG: devinthydude

He means he doesnt look at the specs of the subs when tuning the box, because what determines what frequency your box is tuned to is the length of your port and how big your box is.

The bigger your box is, the less port length you need. Port area also affects tuning, the less port area you have, the less port length you need but that can also cause port noise if you dont have enough port area.

yup exactly......

2010 IDBL Rookie 1 North American Champion

2009 IDBL Rookie 1 Fl State Champion

2009 EBB Fly Weight 3rd Place Fl State Finals

2006 Silver Grand Prix GXP :Diablo Audio Hellfire 1000.1, JL Audio 300/4, One 13W7, ZR650, VR690, JL Cleansweep setup.

Team Pure Pressure

dat12.jpgkonfused22copyn.gif

logottu.jpgproductimage.jpgpoweringlogosm.jpg

Ha Ha Ha...not at all bro. No, worries, Boxes can be intimidating at first. Especially ported boxes. Me and my buddy just had our first attempt at a kerfed box, ha ha ha..we learned a few things from that...What a blast...waiting for the fiber glass to dry and then we have some sanding on it, cause the florida heat made some of the glass cure before we were finished with and and there are a few lumps in it. and one more piece to attach and then we should she how it turned out....hopefully by mid week we will know. Starting a second one today, maybe.

2006 Silver Grand Prix GXP :Diablo Audio Hellfire 1000.1, JL Audio 300/4, One 13W7, ZR650, VR690, JL Cleansweep setup.

Team Pure Pressure

Ha Ha Ha...not at all bro. No, worries, Boxes can be intimidating at first. Especially ported boxes. Me and my buddy just had our first attempt at a kerfed box, ha ha ha..we learned a few things from that...What a blast...waiting for the fiber glass to dry and then we have some sanding on it, cause the florida heat made some of the glass cure before we were finished with and and there are a few lumps in it. and one more piece to attach and then we should she how it turned out....hopefully by mid week we will know. Starting a second one today, maybe.
Have you seen the boxes Thumper makes? Ridiculous skills!! I was just wondering what tuning frequency cause I want him to build a box for me cause no way in hell would a self made box of mine come out looking or performing anywhere near his.

jus seal it :D
I just might do that. That way I'd have a large ported box for gettin' loud and low, and a small to medium sealed box for gettin' tight and accurate.

Have you seen the boxes Thumper makes? Ridiculous skills!! I was just wondering what tuning frequency cause I want him to build a box for me cause no way in hell would a self made box of mine come out looking or performing anywhere near his.

I may have I dunno..ill try to check 'em out.

Team Pure Pressure