False Floor Ideas

Hey guys, I have encountered a small issue with my false floor. I am trying to figure out how to make it stronger so it doesn't bow when you put some weight on it. I don't need it to hold an engine block or anything, but would like it to hold a few suitcases, shopping bags etc.

I am using 3/4" MDF and orginally planned to use a piece of 1/4" as well. My orginal plan was to build a metal frame out of 1/2 square tubing, router the frame work out of the 3/4" and then use the piece of 1/4" to cover up the frame work. But the issue is the span of the false floor. Its 48" wide and even with the square tubing, there is more flex than just with the MDF by itself.

I can't really go thicker than 1" or I will have to redo all my fiberglass trim panels for the sides, amp rack cover, and rear cover.

The floor is supported on small blocks at each corner. I couldn't do very large supports because of space constraints with my air bag lines etc.

I thought about using something in the center to brace it up, but worry about rattles if I do not secure it down in the center. I am trying to keep the floor area smooth to be able to wrap it in vinyl or leather.

I have also thought about instead of using the 1/4", to use 1/2 or 3/4, then just router out for the mounts so it still only sits 1" above the support blocks. But my worry there is that will put me really close to the heads of my compressors as well as my batteries. I wan't to keep some room down there to help disipate heat. I have some small fans that are pulling air out from under the false floor and exit out the side vents in the trunk area.

Someone recommended to use fiberglass on the MDF instead of using the 1/4". Will 1/4" of glass bonded to the MDF add enough strength?

Any ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks

Shawn

use 2x4s man!

i am buildin a false floor soon and that is what i will use. seems liek a great, cheap way to do it

I don't have the depth to use 2 by 4's. The floor can only be 1" thick. Even if I build a frame out of 1 by's, I will need something sturdy to cover it with. If I deck it with 1 by's, its gonna weigh a ton and will make removal and installation a 2 man job. LOL.

Shawn

hmmm...... why dont u make a 2 layer deck that has dowels in it in various spots an inch long? have an inch gap........... why r u wantin only an inch gap anyways?

Its not that I wan't a 1" gap. My false floor can only be 1" thick. All my glass side panels, amp rack cover, are rear cover would have to be modified if I go thicker than 1" on the false floor.

Shawn

Thanks for the input guys. I think I got it figured out. I looked for some 1" thick hardwoods, and they all had too much flex in them as well.

But after staring at the area for a few hours, I think I can make a brace that will come off my battery hold down. I also found some small plastic pieces that are almost like velcro, but have a ball on the ends of the little fingers rather than hook and loop. Not sure what they are called. I found them in our misc parts bins at the shop. They stick together pretty well and it takes some effort to pull them part.

I am going to give this idea a try and see how it works.

Thanks

Shawn