wire strand count?

ok so ive got 3 different types of 1/0 wire... one is kicker hyperflex, one is american bass 0 guage, and the other is monster powerflex...

the kicker hyperflex has the highest strand count... 4704 strands, its also silver tinned and the most flexible

the american bass 0guage has the next highest strand count...4264 strands... and is pure copper... the cable its self is thinner than the other two

and finally the monster powerflex 1/0... lowest strand count...4074 strands... and is pure copper... this cable is the largest in diameter but has a thick outer layer... it also has a plastic wire running through the center...

Ive been told that the high strand count is just for flexibility and others say its for better current flow...

some also say the pure copper is better than silver tinned and others say the opposite...

I would like to get your opinnions on these 2 things...

and... the kicker and american bass wires that i have are just small pieces...and i was using them as an example to compare against the monster wire, which i have 20' of and plan to use it in my build...

i have my concerns about if it will be able to support 2000-2500rms.... do you think it will be fine?

and what is acceptible as far as strand count goes???

i dont know much about the quality of wire so if you guys can help me learn about this i would greatly appreciate it...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

bump... cmon... i want to know about this stuff...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

bigger strand count = more current flow. pure 100% copper is better than aluminum/silver tinned. thats what i learned

Thanks for playing, try again. :)

Strand count has nothing to do with DC current flow. It's ALL about the cross sectional area of COPPER. In short, the more copper the better. Strand count is unrelated, but nice for flexibility.

Second, silver tinned copper is VERY different than aluminum, or CCA (copper clad aluminum). Silver tinned copper is one of the BEST materials for carrying current. Second best would be 100% copper, followed by a distant copper clad aluminum.

Reference: electrical contractor by trade ;)

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck

Of course.

Why do some companies claim their amps put out 2400 watts when they will barely make 700?

The thing that strand count DOES help with is increased flexibility making it easier to install.

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck

this is all what ive always expected just wasn't 100% sure.

hence why kicker hyperflex is one of the most popular selling wires.

so basically if you have say 2/0 welding wire that is 100% copper it would be better than any brand of 1/0, just not as flexible.

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

so would this monste 1/0 be sufficient enough?

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

Archived