Speaker powering question

ok not real sure about how to do this so came hear to ask

looking at making some front tower speakers for my house. with a 10" woofer, a 6.5" mid, and a 1" tweet. now my question is the 10" has 200rms and the 6.5" and the 1" handle 50rms together, would i have to have 2 hook ups one for the sub (200rms)and one for the mid and tweet(50 rms)? or is it safe to have one input on the box (250rms)?

You need 2 hook ups.

Sharing one input would halve the wattage between them and they would get the same signal.

So your sub, mid and tweet would either get all bass freq's or all higher freq's.

Im pretty sure anyways ;)

7e770874-fae3-49d5-ad82-4cabf106fead_zps d3abdb88-50bf-42d8-9628-e257559ec11d_zps

IG: devinthydude

there will be a cross over in the box so the freq's i'm not worried about, each of the 3 would be getting high, mid, or low freqs i'm just worried bout blowing the mid and tweet, if i just have 1 input to the cross over then off to each speaker

If your high end presents an equal load to your low end, then the voltage drop (ignoring other variables) across both points should be equal. If either point is a high resistance, your power flow will take the path of least resistance. Though, bearing in mind you have a crossover network, you should be fine. Crossovers are horribly innefficient power sponges.

If you have any worries about overpowering your high end, install an L-pad attenuator on the feed to your midrange and high range drivers. In the case of an unequal power distribution, simply dial back the attenuator until you have the mix you desire. The attennuator will simply at more resistance to the circuit in series, lowering the power fed to the device connected to it.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Archived