DC Sound Lab

2 12" DC lvl 3's in Home theater.. Is it worth it , or will it not work

newb HT question... Larger enclosures..... More boomy and louder

smaller enclosure tighter and lower?

Im seriously lost.. i think the room acoustics of a house F@&k with me...

And why in your tuning did you go a little higher? i was assuming under normal tuning , that a HT setup tuned to 18-22 hz would peak around 38-40 .. which is room dependent i understand , buit as a general idea is this true?

Yes, Generally your correct.

The reason i like the alignment described- is that my HT mid-bass is seriously lacking and if i get to big/low then i lose so much upper that i have a BIG hole between the mids and sub. I Jam it for TV as well and noticed MANY TV show intros have cool rolling lines that the sub brings out well above the 15-35hz range.

Basically, Test Test Test!! (And corner load!)

-Drew

**after looking at the pic- If it were my room i'd have a vertical sub box behind the TV with the slot port on bottom shooting into the corner. just my .02c

Edited by Noobtastic14

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

Yes, Generally your correct.

The reason i like the alignment described- is that my HT mid-bass is seriously lacking and if i get to big/low then i lose so much upper that i have a BIG hole between the mids and sub. I Jam it for TV as well and noticed MANY TV show intros have cool rolling lines that the sub brings out well above the 15-35hz range.

Basically, Test Test Test!! (And corner load!)

-Drew

**after looking at the pic- If it were my room i'd have a vertical sub box behind the TV with the slot port on bottom shooting into the corner. just my .02c

funny you say that .. lol Yea it was a mess back there , but its 100x better now.. the sub now is actually on a 16" riser sub is firing at the back of the tv and the port is firing against the corner of the wall .. no other way reallly

57372d0f.jpg

Edited by 40nBelow09

2- DC Lvl 3 12's

Memphis mc1000d

146.2 TL , (7-4-09)

everything from spiders to coil to cone to motor structure and gap geometry can effect the design and output of the woofer. That pictured woofer next to the DC will sound Very "Natural" where the Dc is designed to play artificial bass tons to music, so it will require a bit more effort to get that real natural infrasonic experience.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:

everything from spiders to coil to cone to motor structure and gap geometry can effect the design and output of the woofer. That pictured woofer next to the DC will sound Very "Natural" where the Dc is designed to play artificial bass tons to music, so it will require a bit more effort to get that real natural infrasonic experience.

-Drew

ahhh the geometry of woofers.... for $150 would it just be better to go with something like this? and how would a $400 DIY setup compared to a $400 big box sub sound .. Example of the klipsch sub 12 which shockingly i was impressed with .. So since i only really want to spend $400 , heres my options

Run the dcs off this amp

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=300-808

$400 DIY

amp

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=300-806

sub

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=295-404

klipsch-- $400 store bought

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-SUB-...r/dp/B0011YZ0CM

Edited by 40nBelow09

2- DC Lvl 3 12's

Memphis mc1000d

146.2 TL , (7-4-09)

-Drew

show off :dry:

lol j/k.

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpgth_140x100square.jpgth_140x100rev2animated.gifsoundigital.pngth_Banner_140x100.jpgn221468318568_2854.jpg

8_RedDevillogo.pngteamtexflex-1.jpg

:ph34r:

what it comes down to 40nbelow09 is what you really want out of it. If your comparing the final result there is NO way to tell unless you do both the Dc HT and the Option #2 shown. I think both will have very satisfying results with enough time put into it. if the woofs are just sitting then build a box! if you want a stand alone HT then build the HT that you want and save the DCs for parties (Flippn awesome to throw a party and have DCs thumpin in the corner)

-Drew

uhoh_45 said:

:ph34r:

what it comes down to 40nbelow09 is what you really want out of it. If your comparing the final result there is NO way to tell unless you do both the Dc HT and the Option #2 shown. I think both will have very satisfying results with enough time put into it. if the woofs are just sitting then build a box! if you want a stand alone HT then build the HT that you want and save the DCs for parties (Flippn awesome to throw a party and have DCs thumpin in the corner)

-Drew

yea man, its a tough call... is there anything i need to know when tuning a HT enclosure.. so if i decide to go with option 2 i dont make it sound like ass... Does it say in the specs of the sub what it recommends for enclosure size and tuning? sorry my pages arent loading very quick tonight

2- DC Lvl 3 12's

Memphis mc1000d

146.2 TL , (7-4-09)

Heres my car sub home audio setup. 2 Rockford T1's (2 of assmans old subs) in a big ass box I got off eBay. The box was originaly 10^3 and tuned to 10hz with to TC1000's. Way to big for me to fit where I wanted it. I cut 14 inches off the back and reworked the whole box smoothing it all down and hitting it with gloss black and a custom job on the back. I have it tuned around 27hz +- . Big 10" pvc port on the side with 0 port noise. Run a Behringer EP2500 to power it.

It will shake the hell out of the whole house, is devastating with movies and sounds great with music. Mainly use it for music, jam in the house all the time.

I would say just go for it and see how you like it. Maybe even consider one of those Sonotube sub setups. You could place that behind the TV and have it fire down. Cheap and easy to make sub enclosure.

2427500963_3b053bfd8a_o.jpg

2427501265_a2bb03beda_o.jpg

Edited by fshanda

Heres my car sub home audio setup. 2 Rockford T1's (2 of assmans old subs) in a big ass box I got off eBay. The box was originaly 10^3 and tuned to 10hz with to TC1000's. Way to big for me to fit where I wanted it. I cut 14 inches off the back and reworked the whole box smoothing it all down and hitting it with gloss black and a custom job on the back. I have it tuned around 27hz +- . Big 10" pvc port on the side with 0 port noise. Run a Behringer EP2500 to power it.

It will shake the hell out of the whole house, is devastating with movies and sounds great with music. Mainly use it for music, jam in the house all the time.

I would say just go for it and see how you like it. Maybe even consider one of those Sonotube sub setups. You could place that behind the TV and have it fire down. Cheap and easy to make sub enclosure.

wow man.. very impressive! id be afraid my kitten would run through the port lol... more pics if ya got em... and since ppl on here know more about the specs of the lvl 3s than me, what dimensions and port tuning and length should i be going with>> like i said .. never done an aero

Edited by Noobtastic14

2- DC Lvl 3 12's

Memphis mc1000d

146.2 TL , (7-4-09)