Sonic Electronix

Noob Question - Mulitple Speakers - How?

Hey guys,

First off....great website. This place is filled with info and has tons of great pics and some very talented people i must say.

My question is this - all those builds you see where people have 2,3,or even 5 component speaker sets installed in the front doors - how do they do that? in terms of wiring etc? i've installed and upgraded all 4 speakers in my truck and even built fiberglass a-pillars for a component set i upgraded to so i'm not a total idiot...but how are they wired in? If i wanted to install 2 sets of components in the front doors and the matching tweeters in the a-pillars, how would i wire them to the head unit??

Thanks in advance.

from what i know, if you have multiple speakers, you dont use the headunit to power them. you get external amps. if the speakers are bridged or not to the amp, i guess thats up to you. some people like to run 4 speakers off a 4 channel, some people like running 8 speakers. you can wire however many speakers you want but you have to get the ohm load right so you dont send the amplifier into protect.

someone can shed WAY more light than me on this topic

I understand what you guys are saying....I currently have a 2-channel amp powering my front 2 component speakers. If i got a 4 channel amp, could i put 2 speakers in each door? If so, how do I wire the speakers back to the head unit?

Alot of 2 channel amps are stable at 2 ohms, Look at your amps specs, if it is stable at two ohms you can just wire the 2 speakers in the left door to the left channel. and the right 2 speakers in the right channel. youll wire them in parallel, that is both left positives together and both left negatives together. same on the right side

I understand what you guys are saying....I currently have a 2-channel amp powering my front 2 component speakers. If i got a 4 channel amp, could i put 2 speakers in each door? If so, how do I wire the speakers back to the head unit?

u dont...it would b best to wire all of the speaker to the amplifier...otherwise there's gonna b a great imbalance in your sound quality

Thanks guys. That really helps. I'll check the amp specs when i get back home. I was contemplating getting a 4 channel amp anyways, and from what i understand here, if i want to put two speakers in each of the front doors, i can run each speaker to 1 channel in the amp, and wire the amp in parallel to the front to channels of the head unit?

Thanks guys. That really helps. I'll check the amp specs when i get back home. I was contemplating getting a 4 channel amp anyways, and from what i understand here, if i want to put two speakers in each of the front doors, i can run each speaker to 1 channel in the amp, and wire the amp in parallel to the front to channels of the head unit?

Woah, what? What HU and amp do you have? How is your 2 channel amp hooked up now? Are you using high-level inputs on your amp? Or some kind of line driver?

Archived