Sonic Electronix

Going Active vs Passive Crossover

P1030066.jpg

off topic:

Dude I really like your setup man! :D

I think it looks really good.

Topic is not my specialty but I do know that companies have alot of different manipulations they can use in the passive crossover designs to really clean up the sound the component sets reproduce.

Any component setup designed like that would make me want to think that if you used the wrong set of components and took away their passive crossovers so you could run them active might cause alot of work or turn into a pain in the ass trying to make them sound good because of the different manipulations a company has built into the passive crossover.

My basic rule of thumb is if a component set comes with passive crossovers your probably better off useing their passive crossovers.

I do wish more companies would make their passive crossovers biampable though, as that is a scenerio I have had to struggle with to much in my time.

I was really posting just to let you know I really like your setup man. :good:

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

LOL Chode the only thing I can think of for you is maybe thank about the A's.

Like Active=Amp. If your going active then you are powering straight from an amp and useing its built in X-over. (or external powered crossover)

LOL Passive I have nothing for you. For some reason when someone says passive to me the first word I think of is capacitor. I have no idea where that state of mind came from but thats what comes to me.LOL

Edit:

Maybe because one of the most popular simplified passive X-over designs is to use a CAP inline with a coaxil set to have a 6db highpass slope so you can atleast cut out the damageing part of the bass or to make the cone of a 3.5,4,5,or 6 inch driver to stop moving so much.

Edited by ISO

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png