Sonic Electronix

So I have a pretty nice home system and I use my Macbook as my media server and it works pretty good. However I use the headphone jack to come out of my laptop and into my preamp and I was woundering about a out board DAC Converter to get better out put. I've seen a few online and they claim huge improvments on the level of out put to the preamp but they are using USB. So I guess what I'm asking is do any of you guys use them and are they any good? Thanks!

The Shoe Maker without shoes!

So I have a pretty nice home system and I use my Macbook as my media server and it works pretty good. However I use the headphone jack to come out of my laptop and into my preamp and I was woundering about a out board DAC Converter to get better out put. I've seen a few online and they claim huge improvments on the level of out put to the preamp but they are using USB. So I guess what I'm asking is do any of you guys use them and are they any good? Thanks!

I use a HeadRoom MicroDAC. Sounds great, simple to use, plug'n'play. Also decent level output. Massive improvement over onboard as well. I wouldn't even consider using a laptop's onboard audio (unless it had a digital output) to input to a decent speaker setup.

Don't buy a cheap one, it'll be no better than the laptop's one (although it will be removed from the noisy environment inside the laptop) and be careful of ground loops when setting it up :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Archived