Second Skin Audio

Using an enclosure that's too small.

I've got an Adire Audio Shiva that I'm having trouble selling, so I was thinking about just going ahead and using it. If I remember right the Shiva takes a rather large box, even sealed. I'd like to keep my box as small as possible.

I don't have an amp yet, but was wanting something that I could use on an upgraded sub at a later date (AQ, DC or Fi most likely). I was thinking something along the lines of an AQ1200D.

What are the pros/cons of using a box that's too small?

usually a box smaller you push more power on it vs big box you use less power

That's what I thought.

What does a smaller box do to a subs output?

large boxes are used for efficiency. reccommended sizes are based on the mechnical power handlings of the sub. less power bigger box.

more power smaller box

the output will be hurt if you use the same power

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

how about you tell us what size you have and we tell you if the shiva can be used in it.

It's going in an extended cab Dakota, so "technically" I've got lots of room but would like to keep it small. What I'm looking at is trying to keep it within the size (at least width and depth) of the passenger side seat. After doing some measuring it looks like I'm looking at 18"w x 18"h x 13"d. So I guess that'll still get between 1.5 and 2.0 cubes, but that's the absolute largest dimensions I'd like to go. I'd prefer to go smaller than that, especially on the height.

Basically I'm wanting something that will, in the end, work with one of the said subs in my first post, but will get me by with the Shiva for the time being. Thanks for the help so far.

Well, after thinking about it I decided to just stick with a 10". I've already got an enclosure for a 10" and I'll just end up spending more money if I go the 12" route. Plus I think a 10" will be a little less intrusive and will transition better when I get a new vehicle in a few years. Thanks for the help.

Dan

comn man!! you gotta have a BIG system to put in a dakota

Maybe when I get a new vehicle I can put a massive system in my Dakota. I'll have to ask my wife first. :blush: