Sonic Electronix

Well I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe (4Dr, 4WD) and it has a complete stock system (and damn does it suck)

Since I know this is the right place to come for advice; I've been wanting a new system.

I don't need something that can shatter windows...(yet)...but I do want something that's loud, and sounds good. I can spend around $1000 and tbh, I know almost nothing about installing systems. I can do a head unit, some wiring here and there, but I'm a noob. This truck has a stock alternator, one battery (has 2 bays under the hood for 2 batteries)

I know for a fact it has 6 speakers (two in the bottom of the front doors, 2 in the side doors, and 2 in the roof in the back; all factory) and I believe what could be a tweeter in each front door, making a total of 8.

Tweeter Location?

used-1999-chevrolet-tahoe-ls-6475-1.jpg

BTW That isn't my truck.

So, what's good to get, and what can I get, for $1,000? Yes, things will be upgraded down the road.

Yes there is 8 speakers to be exact in our trucks. The picture you have is where the 1" tweets go. If it was me and I only had a $1000 budget...I would do a: cheap pioneer hu, some phoenix gold 6.5 comps for the front, run of the mill coaxs in the back doors(do nothing with the roof speakers), a decent four channel amp like alpine or powerbass, and then two 12" level 3s of a Hifonics BXI1610D. Knukoncepts wire

I didnt get the exact prices so it may be a lil over your price range but you can always change things

1999 Chevy Tahoe

Level 4 15"

AP 3000d

Rockford and Phoenix Gold Componets

T400.2

Mechman 250 amp Rhino

2 Kinetik 2400

GET LOUD : STAY LOUD : SLAP RESPONSIBLY

Yes there is 8 speakers to be exact in our trucks. The picture you have is where the 1" tweets go. If it was me and I only had a $1000 budget...I would do a: cheap pioneer hu, some phoenix gold 6.5 comps for the front, run of the mill coaxs in the back doors(do nothing with the roof speakers), a decent four channel amp like alpine or powerbass, and then two 12" level 3s of a Hifonics BXI1610D. Knukoncepts wire

I didnt get the exact prices so it may be a lil over your price range but you can always change things

I'm not that litterate when it comes to audio equipment, I know a lil' here and there and such, but not that great (I can install a system)

Well those roof speakers sound like shit if I start to turn the system up so I'd just disconnect them until I get something better in their place.

What do you mean by "run of the mill coaxs"?

-----

Would it be asking too much if you gave an actual list of stuff (in greater detail)?

Now about the Tahoe, I see we both have a 99 Tahoe, what kind of Alternator are you running? And are you running 1 or 2 batteries in the engine bay? Because I've noticed when I have the front & rear AC on, headlights on, etc. The voltage drops down to like 11-12 volts, and it got me thinking, if I had a system in the truck, how much lower would the voltage be...

1000 for EVERYTHING? thats not gonna get you very far it depends on where you want to start, you could do all your comps and get your speakers sounding A++ then work on your bass. If it was me id choose what i want more comps or bass. then start from there

Then I'm left with my crappy ass factory speakers in the doors...Just getting a head unit, an amp, and subs isn't gonna make my truck sound any better...

so 4 12s wouldnt make your truck sound any better? OKay..................................:rolleyes:

Well............. your pretty much shit out of luck because 1000 bucks is nothing when it comes to audio. you could buy your wire and deadner and start there till you get more money.

or you could buy a 4 ch and comps and a deck but i dont see you buying a complete system for 1000 bucks and being happy especially if you are talking about adding batts and a new alt

:pardon:

Roseville, CA

1000 for EVERYTHING? thats not gonna get you very far it depends on where you want to start, you could do all your comps and get your speakers sounding A++ then work on your bass. If it was me id choose what i want more comps or bass. then start from there

Most likely that's what I'll end up doing, then getting subs. So let's say that's the road I went down (which it will be), without focusing on subs yet, what could I get for $1000?

@zfrerichs: what I meant by it won't make my truck sound better, is I'll just have all this bass, and shitty ass stock speakers in the doors. I'd rather have a good sounding system with no subs (and get subs later on)

I'm not that litterate when it comes to audio equipment, I know a lil' here and there and such, but not that great (I can install a system)

Well those roof speakers sound like shit if I start to turn the system up so I'd just disconnect them until I get something better in their place.

What do you mean by "run of the mill coaxs"?

-----

Would it be asking too much if you gave an actual list of stuff (in greater detail)?

Now about the Tahoe, I see we both have a 99 Tahoe, what kind of Alternator are you running? And are you running 1 or 2 batteries in the engine bay? Because I've noticed when I have the front & rear AC on, headlights on, etc. The voltage drops down to like 11-12 volts, and it got me thinking, if I had a system in the truck, how much lower would the voltage be...

The roof speakers are trash. Just disconnect them and leave it like that. You will never hear them.

By "run of the mill coaxs" I mean just some pioneer or kicker 6.5 for the rear doors. Nothing to fancy.

I am running a Mechman 250amp alternator with the adjustable regulator with only one battery up front and two kinetik 2400's in the back. I have about 600watts running right now and if I turn every acc on (ac, headlights, w/e) I only drop to about 14.2.

To be honest, with your budget...you cant have the best of both worlds. Like previously mentioned by zfrerichs...I would start with an area of your system that you want the most. Bass, mids and highs, or electrical and go from there. Me I started with my electrical first, then moved to my mids and highs, and I am gathering funds for the bass as we speak.

PM me in detail what you want out of your system and I can work out with you how to achieve your goals man. But for now...its grub time! Peace!

1999 Chevy Tahoe

Level 4 15"

AP 3000d

Rockford and Phoenix Gold Componets

T400.2

Mechman 250 amp Rhino

2 Kinetik 2400

GET LOUD : STAY LOUD : SLAP RESPONSIBLY

i have a 99 suburban and that location in my truck has no tweets in there,i also thought it did but i do have a set of kenwood tweets for that location that will fit nice. I got lucky when i bought mine it already had jl audio in all the doors and rear roof, but no usable head unit i'd do the component set in your front doors and rear doors with a decent amp that will give you a good base to work with then add subs later. atleast you will have a nice sound to listen too to start off with.

99 suburban

20" boss motorsport wheels

big 3 installed (thanks Iraggi)

alpine 9886 deck

kenwood 11 band eq

fosgate t5002 amp running sub

kenwood ps200 amp running components

jl xr components in front doors

jl xr 6.5 in rear doors

jl in rear roof

1 FI Q 18" with bp

enclosure 8 cubes 138 sq" port 34hz