Sonic Electronix

Weird engine noise problem

Ok, I have a problem.

First off, I noticed my rear speakers where getting kinda crackly and what not, ok so I blew em, whatever, I paid 20 shipped for em on eBay.

Next I noticed my rear speakers and my front ones would just cut in and out, at varying volume levels. Ok, this was making me kinda mad. So I got to thinking, and I know my crossover's were a little rusty from the moisture in the door, so I pulled them out, and put in the 6.5 PowerBass 4XLs in each door, no crossover, just striaght to the 4 channel, once I did that, I picked up engine noise.

WTF right? So a while back, I bypassed my factory constant 12v and switched 12v, and ran the HU on toggle switch, along with the amps. We where always swapping headunits, doing this, and doing that, adding this and that, so needless to say, it got to be like a hardcore rats nest back there, espeically since all the remote line we had at the time was blue, so almost every fucking wire was blue.

Anyways, so today I got tired of it, pulled my passenger seat out(my 4 channel is mounted underneath my seat), unwired it all, pulled my carpet up, and rewired everything, from the steering colum to the headunit, to the EQ, back to the 4 channel.

So now my headunit is wired back to my ignition column, etc etc. So Ive spent probally 6 hours fucking with it, get it all back together, wire up the 4 channel, and theres still fucking engine noise, I grounded the RCAs also.

Could this be the end of my beloved Powerbass 600.4? Its been underwater, bridged at 1ohm, gotten so hot that if you touched it, it would burn you, etc etc and never went into protect. This amp is by far the most reliable peice of equipment in my truck, its lasted me 3 years.

Anything else you guys can think of before I try a different amp?

The amp is grounded to my 1/0 run from the front(I have 2 runs of 1/0 to the back, one positive, and one negative)

2004 Yellow F150 STX 4x4 Single Cab

2 Yellow DC Power 270SP's Alts

4(and counting) XS Power 6500's

4 DD3515s Supercharged

53cu.ft 4th order blowthrough

8 DD M1b's

6 Selenium 8's

2 Selenium ST350s

154.1 @ 41hz Legal Burp

Build Log

Ok, I have a problem.

First off, I noticed my rear speakers where getting kinda crackly and what not, ok so I blew em, whatever, I paid 20 shipped for em on eBay.

Next I noticed my rear speakers and my front ones would just cut in and out, at varying volume levels. Ok, this was making me kinda mad. So I got to thinking, and I know my crossover's were a little rusty from the moisture in the door, so I pulled them out, and put in the 6.5 PowerBass 4XLs in each door, no crossover, just striaght to the 4 channel, once I did that, I picked up engine noise.

WTF right? So a while back, I bypassed my factory constant 12v and switched 12v, and ran the HU on toggle switch, along with the amps. We where always swapping headunits, doing this, and doing that, adding this and that, so needless to say, it got to be like a hardcore rats nest back there, espeically since all the remote line we had at the time was blue, so almost every fucking wire was blue.

Anyways, so today I got tired of it, pulled my passenger seat out(my 4 channel is mounted underneath my seat), unwired it all, pulled my carpet up, and rewired everything, from the steering colum to the headunit, to the EQ, back to the 4 channel.

So now my headunit is wired back to my ignition column, etc etc. So Ive spent probally 6 hours fucking with it, get it all back together, wire up the 4 channel, and theres still fucking engine noise, I grounded the RCAs also.

Could this be the end of my beloved Powerbass 600.4? Its been underwater, bridged at 1ohm, gotten so hot that if you touched it, it would burn you, etc etc and never went into protect. This amp is by far the most reliable peice of equipment in my truck, its lasted me 3 years.

Anything else you guys can think of before I try a different amp?

The amp is grounded to my 1/0 run from the front(I have 2 runs of 1/0 to the back, one positive, and one negative)

Just woundering did you run the rca's on the same side as ur power wire? Because I have heard that will make the engine noise.?

Also A guy once told me he had that problem and it ended up being his alternator!

Just make suggestions lol

1991 Nissan 300zx

JVC KD-HDR50

(2)Kicker L7 10's

Custom enclosure(Entire hatch)

Hifonics 1606D (Subs)

Kicker 650.4 (Mids & Highs)

Hifonics ZXi 5.2C (Front)

Kicker 07DS600 (Rear)

Alt whine is the source of all engine noise. No matter how it gets into the system, it's the source of the whine. But yeah, make sure RCA's are as far away as possible from any power wire.

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

Does your noise happen all the time or just when the engine is running? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember hearing that a spark plug misfire or a bad coilpack can sometimes induce noise when the engine is running. Also have you tried running a ground wire from the chassis of your deck to the negative terminal of your amp?

Archived