Sonic Electronix

Is it always better to run your ground right to the battery negative? Im hearing so much BS about which is right lately its making me confoosed :D

I can kinda imagine that chassis grounds (for us unibodies) are good only to a certain point, but what about frame rail grounds in larger vehicles?

Its kinda tricky, I imagine the frame having a shit ton more surface area on it than a run of 1/0....does it all come down to which has less resistance? I can understand that once you start getting up to like 20kw power you can only run so much through the frame (and especially the chassis). But for most of us in the normal range...say around 1-8kw....which ground is best? Does a straight run of 1/0 have less resistance than a frame rail?

I tried to read up on this topic and there was a big debate about it on DIYMA.....but what do u guys believe is correct?

oh and heres the link to the thread at DIYMA...I found it to be a good read. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mo...battery-ok.html

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

i would think the frame would be the best... but some people think that a run of 1/0 to the batt is a more direct way... current takes the path of least resistance so... i would think if you did a negative run of 1/0 to the batt and also grounded to the frame.. you wouldnt have anything to worry about...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

Battery without a doubt. If you ground it to the frame, where does it still need to go? The battery. Remove the battery, and the frame is useless.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

Battery without a doubt. If you ground it to the frame, where does it still need to go? The battery. Remove the battery, and the frame is useless.

Sorry but that doesnt make sense. It is the other way around. The battery is useless without the frame. Remember also that it is but merely a load to the alternator.

Imagine the frame of a car compressed into a wire. It would pwn any size wire you can find.

Eclipse cd7000

your battery isnt going to run it.

the ground is the return path, it doesnt matter whether its a wire or a frame or a chassis....electricity takes the path of least resistance. If its less resistance through the chassis... then the 1/0 wire you ran straight to the battery is useless.

Edited by finkster

Eclipse cd7000

No, the alternator does. The frame is just a conductor for a ground. Same with the body. You need your best connections at the two things that supply your vehicle engergy, your alternator and your battery. Battery is attached to the motor, and where does everything go to? The battery.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

And I've never seen a chassis with less resistance than a run of 1/0. Frames and bodies are made of steel. They're an ok conductor, but not nearly as good as copper. They've got welds, and things bolted to them, and usually not the most direct path.

Edited by lanman31337

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

ok, not really arguing AGAINST you, more like challenging people to think more on the subject. This was the kind of discussion i was hoping to have....Im not really against the fact that the battery is one of the most important components in the car. Yes I know that everything must return to the neg. Im more stuck on the fact that copper may be a better conductor, but does surface area play a role?

I mean is a 8/0 run of steel more conductive than 1/0 of copper?

Eclipse cd7000

Surface area does play a role. For example, entrance cable for homes is usually aluminum. Reason is for cost, however, it needs a much bigger surface area for the same amperage.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160