What does running active mean?

I see some people say that they are going to run thier mids active. What does this mean and are their any other options?

Team S.M.D.

Maritime Car Audio- (2) 18" SSA ZCON D1

- American Bass 500.1

- 60 ft of 3/0

-480 Ah of battery

- (2) stock alternators (70 +90)

- Kenwood Excelon x-794, 4v preouts

car audio is just a LOT more complicated than "this amp does this power" or "this sub will be this loud". its like 2 + 2 = banana. (if that confuses you then you get the point) lol

I see some people say that they are going to run thier mids active. What does this mean and are their any other options?

I believe that is when you use a processor? Some one correct me if im wrong

'05 GMC Envoy

H/U: PIONEER AVH P4300DVD

Subs: (8) SA-12's

Amps: (2) SAZ3500d's

MECHMAN 270A Alt and 5 Batteries with lots of 1/0

so active sets crossover before amps and passive sets crossover after amps? and what if i just use the crossover settings on the amp? like without electronic crossover or coils and caps.

Team S.M.D.

- American Bass 500.1

- 60 ft of 3/0

-480 Ah of battery

car audio is just a LOT more complicated than "this amp does this power" or "this sub will be this loud". its like 2 + 2 = banana. (if that confuses you then you get the point) lol

here is the best way i can explain it. An active crossover processes the sound BEFORE its amplified. A passive crossover crosses overt the frequencies after they have been amplified....sooo...

Head unit-------crossover--------amp------speakers= active

Head unit-------amp--------crossover------speakers= passive

using the crossovers on the amp would be running active, due to the fact that the signal is first crossed over and then amplified. Correct me if im wrong someone.

Edited by finkster

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Yes and it depends on what speakers your running and what range they are designed for and what range the amp can filter and at what decibel of filter i.e. 6db, 12db, these things matter.

In other words you cant run a tweeter and woofer directly off the same channel there's no way to seperate them so a passive would be a good way to go but it would have to be one that was desgined to filter the frequency's according to what the speaker can play in.

Edited by Cr@sh

one more thing. Running active allows you to tune everything to your specific needs (depending on the quality of the processor).

also, having a passive crossover wastes energy. After all, wouldnt it be nice to amplify ONLY what you need?

Eclipse cd7000

one more thing. Running active allows you to tune everything to your specific needs (depending on the quality of the processor).

also, having a passive crossover wastes energy. After all, wouldnt it be nice to amplify ONLY what you need?

I beg to differ, Im designing my own passives for a threeway setup and it be controlled perfectly, and when you say waste energy exactly how much?

thanks for the help guys i think i understand it now

Team S.M.D.

- American Bass 500.1

- 60 ft of 3/0

-480 Ah of battery

i should have worded it differently. I should have said that it would be more efficient to run active.

and running active makes it easier to adjust time delay, phase, and other such things. There is far more flexibility.

Eclipse cd7000