Second Skin Audio

Enclosure Building Tips...?

I'm currently working on a custom enclosure for my Avalanche... It's going to replace my midgate and hold my 2 Kicker COMP VR 12's... I have all the pieces cut out and hopefully I'll get to complete construction this weekend...

Just wondering if there are any tips ya'll have for the construction... The enclosure is made of all 3/4 MDF, the "face" of the box is 2 pieces of MDF cut to the shape of my midgate opening and they need to be mated together. Plus I have two separate cabinets (one for each sub) to attach to the rear of the face. This will be a sealed box, so any tips ya'll have on sealing would also be appreciated.

I think I'm going to attach the cabinet pieces to the second "face" piece, they attach the two "face" pieces together.

And I have build enclosures before, but they were far from professional... They workrd for what I needed them for, but could have been better...

Here's the last one I built... It was for my '95 Tahoe... It was crude, but effective...

System.jpg

Thanks in advance for any and all help guys & gals...

- Tim

Edited by TritonBoulder47

2011 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD HEMI - LOADED

Stereo:  STOCK

Emergency Equipment:  Morotola - Federal Signal - Feniex - Gamber Johnson

Performance:  MOPAR Performance - Diablo

911 Calltaker / Diaptcher, Volunteer Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Fire Fighter, Fire Policeman, Emergency Equipment Installer / Repairman

if your not doing anything serious they make a prefab to fit in there perfect

Yeah, but I don't have the money for one... All the materials for this box I already had laying around my parents basement... The cheapest one I found was this one, but I don't have an extra $300 + Shipping laying around... I also saw one somewhere that was like $1,200, that's just ridiculous.

911 Calltaker / Diaptcher, Volunteer Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Fire Fighter, Fire Policeman, Emergency Equipment Installer / Repairman

Yeah, but I don't have the money for one... All the materials for this box I already had laying around my parents basement... The cheapest one I found was this one, but I don't have an extra $300 + Shipping laying around... I also saw one somewhere that was like $1,200, that's just ridiculous.

yea thats crazy. didnt think it would be that much. but as far as building just make sure the box is sealed completely. use like some silicone or liquid nails to seal it. and woodglue/screws to hold it together. just make sure everything is dry b4 you put in the subs

retarded build on the way.....

2000 bagged s10

2 hdc3 15s

aq2200

aq4x90

stinger/knu wire

optima batteries

220 amp alt

fosgate hu/mids and highs

I have a few tips

*Glue is your friend, dont be afraid to use a lil extra

*Dont go screw happy, you dont need a gagillion screws

*When using screws I space em about 3-4 inches apart, also keep screws away from the corners at least 3in.

*Either glass or silicone the inside edges of the box, to make sure you have a airtight seal.

*Measure 5 times cut once

*Clamps are also your friend

Just a few I could thing of.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Guest Cobrastang98
I have a few tips

*Glue is your friend, dont be afraid to use a lil extra

*Dont go screw happy, you dont need a gagillion screws

*When using screws I space em about 3-4 inches apart, also keep screws away from the corners at least 3in.

*Either glass or silicone the inside edges of the box, to make sure you have a airtight seal.

*Measure 5 times cut once

*Clamps are also your friend

Just a few I could thing of.

Couldn't agree more... Basically just take your time and do things right the first time. Be careful to keep the screws in the corners 3-4 inches away from each corner, so wood doesn't split. The glue after is dries is stronger than the wood or screws themselves so screws are just extras, aren't really a necessity at all.

Basic silicone bathroom sealant is cheap and works very well, especially for an inexperienced box builder such as yourself. Btw you could prolli find a box builder on here to build you a sealed enclosure for very cheap. If i wasn't swamped at work I'd build it for cost of materials, $30 and shipping costs. Put up a WTB ad for a local box builder or just someone local that could help u out.

Oh I forgot one of the most important ones

*When using screws Pre Drill, that one is very important.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Guest Cobrastang98

I haven't used screws in a couple years now... I switched over to a nail gun like 3+ years ago and haven't looked back. As long as u use good quality glue, for the most part screws/nails aren't even really needed.

Thanks for the tips guys... Hopefully I'll make some headway this weekend... I'll post pic of my progress, if any... LOL

get someone else to help you. its always better to have two people doing it, in case you need them to hold the wood while you predrill or something. also i've been gluing the wood together, let it sit for like 15-20 mins (since wood glue dries pretty damn fast), and then i predrill and drill screws in later.

Alpine 9886

Polk Audio 6.5 Component db series

Elemental Designs nine.4

JL Audio 1000/1

DC Lvl 4 15" - 3.95 cu ft/tuned to 32 hz

Clarion EQS746

Stinger Voltage Meter

Optima Yellow Top (Front)

XS Power 1200 (Rear)

All KnuKonceptz Wiring