Sonic Electronix

Alternatives to Q Logic kick panels

I just picked up a 93 4x4 Suburban for my daily driver and for my wander in the woods wagon. I threw a 12" type X and some Kenwood coaxials up front and in back thinking I'd be done. Never works like that does it?

Up front I'm running some Kenwood 4x6 coaxials that actually sound pretty decent for the size of the speaker. But, I'm getting no midbass up front and it's time to fix that. I've driven old chevy's my whole life and been stuck with 4x6's and 4x10's as I don't like doing anything extreme for my drivers. I intend to trade the Suburban in a couple years down the road, hence, no custom stuff.

I've already decided on a set of Fosgate Power 6.5" components. But, I'm wondering... Is there an alternative to using the $200 Q-Logic kick panels? I know I can custom do some fiberglass door stuff, but I'm really not wanting to do anything to this Suburban that is permanent. It's just meant to be a driver and I want to keep it as stock as possible. But, I still want some mid bass. :) I don't mind the location of the kick panel enclosures, just wondering if there's a cheaper alternative. What can I say... I'm a cheap bastard.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've been kicking around the idea of doing something at the rear doors being that the sound is so dead in the middle of the Suburban. The 4x10's have so much space to try and fill and barely cut it. Plus they sound really cold and hollow. In over 15 years of messing with car audio, I've never heard a 4x10 that didn't sound exactly the same. Like shit.

Ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.

1993 Chevy Suburban

Optima Yellow Top

Kenwood KDC X-993

Pioneer GM-X314 mids amp

Kenwood KFC-4675's up front

Kenwood KFC-415C in back

Fosgate T1500-1bd

Alpine 12" Type X

(Coming eventually: Fosgate T400-4, T1652-S, XS battery, Big 3, h.o. alternator, 18"???)

image,BoxingBuffalo,grey,black.png

why would doing custom filberglass be permanent? They only way it would be permanent is to lay the glass right on the panel/material. All you have to do is lay down a few layers of tinfoil to protect the panels so that it can be removed. Once you make a mold of the pocket you choose, it wont take much to hold it in place

Orion 2500D, Jbl Gto 75.4

Team Wolfpack Audio FSQ 15" d2, mb quart xover, tweets peerless 6.5 mids

Alpine cda-105

optima up front Knu klm 1/0

why would doing custom filberglass be permanent? They only way it would be permanent is to lay the glass right on the panel/material. All you have to do is lay down a few layers of tinfoil to protect the panels so that it can be removed. Once you make a mold of the pocket you choose, it wont take much to hold it in place

Maybe it's not permanent, but, I don't want to invest money or time into something I'm going to have zero use for in a year or two. This is my daily driver, and I want to keep it as stock as possible. Just a preference.

Something else I forgot to mention, I'm 6'6" tall and 400lbs with a pair of size 17 Air Jordans on my feet. I need all the room I can get up front. I've sat in a full size Chevy with kick panel enclosures and I barely noticed the loss of space. But, anything I do to make my door wider is going to make my feet and potentially my large robust belly upset. We don't want that.

1993 Chevy Suburban

Optima Yellow Top

Kenwood KDC X-993

Pioneer GM-X314 mids amp

Kenwood KFC-4675's up front

Kenwood KFC-415C in back

Fosgate T1500-1bd

Alpine 12" Type X

(Coming eventually: Fosgate T400-4, T1652-S, XS battery, Big 3, h.o. alternator, 18"???)

image,BoxingBuffalo,grey,black.png

Archived