Need software recommendations please (also need help with acronis) (URGENT: HELP NEEDED) New question inside.

On page 155 of the online manual it gives pretty good directions as to what you need to do. It looks like it will give you the option to create and manipulate partitions thru the software. If you have it done before hand it will just show up during the drive selection process. You are just going to choose the source ( existing drive your using) and the destination ( the disk your formatting ) The software will clone the drive and you should be able to just swap the drives out when its finished. The worst thing that could happen is it dosnt work and you have to start over. Read thru the directions first. I just skimmed thru them for this info.

????????......

It came with a manual? All I got was the disk and a quickstart guide. Was the manual on the disk or in the box?

MAJOR EDIT: Reading is greater than me. LOL, you said "online" manual. I though you meant in the box. I kinda wondered. Got a link, I'll google it, but I'm not so good at googling.

Edited by 1992Chevy K1500

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

manual

Thats for the home version. Didnt know which one you had.

I have the 2009 version. But I just found the manual about 5 minutes ago.. Thanks for the help. I'm well on my way now. I just read the correct page. I'm about to install the new disk now. Give me about 30 minutes (having a hard time with one screw).

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

URGENT!

OK, need some more help. During the latter half of the final copying stage, I got several errors telling me my disk had bad sectors. I kept telling it to retry but it won't. Should I continue with the copy? I know the OS runs, but some apps will not load. How do I know if the bad sectors are needed or not? If they are, is it possible to use Acronis to copy just the OS and not any of my apps?

EDIT: the bad sectors are in the 103,xxx,xxx region of the original HDD

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

Anyone? Did I mention it's urgent?

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

It sounds like your original drive is on the way out. You can try and proceed and see if it works out for you. If it dosnt I would just re partition and reformat the new disk then reinstall a fresh copy of your OS on the new disk. Then transfer any files you wish to keep from the original disk to the new disk ASAP. You might not have a lot of time left on the failing disk.

Edited by HobbyWerks

Get acronis true image. Works awesome. Do yourself a favor, get an IDE/SATA to USB adapter and you can connect the new drive to the laptops usb port, image the old drive to the new drive, then just take out the old one, put in the new one. DONE. If you need links I can find them.

yep thats the easiest way to do it

Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details

It sounds like your original drive is on the way out. You can try and proceed and see if it works out for you. If it dosnt I would just re partition and reformat the new disk then reinstall a fresh copy of your OS on the new disk. Then transfer any files you wish to keep from the original disk to the new disk ASAP. You might not have a lot of time left on the failing disk.

I've more or less copied 90% of the files I want to keep. The others wouldn't copy because of of an I/O error (apparently the error is on of the 5 most common errors Vista has when copying files). I wasn't able to get my music from Itunes, but pretty much everything else.

Anyway, it didn't work. It got stuck after the bad sector. So I'm wiping the disk using Acronis (which has the ability to run itself even if there is no OS or other software on the disk). I'm going to use it to see if I can copy the remaining files I couldn't get using Vista and Buy 7 when it comes out. :/

That's gonna set me back in my budget by a few weeks, but at least I'll have 1 problem fixed (for now).

Thanks for the info. As far as I could find, 103,xxx,xxx was the only bad section of the disc. Everything else was readable but it got stuck attempting to copy that section over and over again and couldn't, so it pretty much froze there.

15.4" widescreen

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png