Second Skin Audio

Cheap enclosure sealing options

I read somewhere on here that untreated MDF leaks air, hence the use of 'glass to reinforce and seal it. I was wondering if there was something I could use on a budget to seal an enclosure. My friend suggested using polyurethane or a similar deck sealer, how would that work?

Too many projects, too little time...

Silicone sealant, the stuff they use in bathrooms and what not... Like a couple dollars for a tube, apply a decent bead on the inside edges of the box. Then swipe it with ur finger to push it down, like doing a poon smell test.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

I think he's talking about the interior of the box not just the corners, you can use latex based paint it you want I forget the type of paint steve uses but you can do quick search to find that. Hope that helps

The Shoe Maker without shoes!

imo...silicone= no no....

get the white stuff...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

imo...silicone= no no....

get the white stuff...

That is silicone based sealant lol, if you're talking about the sealant used for caulking.

Btw don't worry about the MDF itself leaking, only the edges do very very little.

Edited by Marlo Stanfield

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

I would say with confidence that a solid board of .75" MDF or good quality bitch/oak ply will not "leak" air.

-Drew

**Bad quality ply with horrible voids may leak air... you get what you pay for

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

I did that with some caulk we had, but someone said the wood itself leaks some air. I don't know if this is noticeable or not but I want to get as much out of my build as I can.

I always resin the insides of my boxes, but that's more out of habit from when i competed. You won't notice or feel any air getting out what so ever is u apply sealant.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

Alright. Because I have noticed my boxes sound like utter shit compared to even prefab boxes from a local audio store. My box is tuned to about 33Hz, 1.3 cubes per chamber, and was running a pair of type-s 10's and now a pair of type-r 12's (temporarily until it stops raining long enough for me to build a real box for them.) I haven't noticed any air leaks but we know how that works...

Too many projects, too little time...

Prolli because that enclosure is wayy to small for those 12s... Might wanna take more time on your enclosures or have someone else design them at least in the future.

Pioneer AVIC-N2