Well i have had my Camaro Z28 for almost a year now. in that year period my egr has gone out 3 times and i have broke my tranny mount 5 times. i have perfomance parts on the car 1 of which is a shift kit. Any one know what the problems could be caused by????

If you're breaking tranny mounts, immediately I can tell you that your tranny is shifting way to hard. Dump the shift kit and fix the tranny right!!

Typically shift kits have been used in the past to jack up the pressuers in the tranny in order to get rid of torque converter shutter. But, all they really do is bandaid the valve body.

Here's what I would do to permanently fix the problem.

1) dyno the car (you need to know exactly how much HP/Torque the motor is putting out

2) go talk to a good tranny shop and have them rebuild your valve body and set the pressures for the hp that you are laying down

3) buy a good low stall Torque converter

4) adjust the clutches (if not replace them to better ones)

5) no more problems!!!

Before performance tranny parts were really made, I used to use the transgo shift kits. They worked to bandaid the problem, but I was always re-adjusting it. Fix it right and be done with it.

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

If you're breaking tranny mounts, immediately I can tell you that your tranny is shifting way to hard. Dump the shift kit and fix the tranny right!!

Typically shift kits have been used in the past to jack up the pressuers in the tranny in order to get rid of torque converter shutter. But, all they really do is bandaid the valve body.

Here's what I would do to permanently fix the problem.

1) dyno the car (you need to know exactly how much HP/Torque the motor is putting out

2) go talk to a good tranny shop and have them rebuild your valve body and set the pressures for the hp that you are laying down

3) buy a good low stall Torque converter

4) adjust the clutches (if not replace them to better ones)

5) no more problems!!!

Before performance tranny parts were really made, I used to use the transgo shift kits. They worked to bandaid the problem, but I was always re-adjusting it. Fix it right and be done with it.

Thanks!!!! this has helped me alot.... the mechanics around here just keep saying that its defective mounts or one of them they thought was cause i bottomed out really hard on a speed bump.. i never really believed that i coulda had 4 defective parts in a row...unfortunatley the shift kit was on the car when i bought it. otherwise there would not be one in the car. i always kinda figured it was the shift kit but after puttin money into fixing tranny mounts i never really had the money to get it removed. would just removing the shift kit till i get money to do the other stuff help? or should i just leave it in till i can do all of it?

it would really depend on what type of shift kit was put on. When I used to have the transgo, I actually had to drill out my valve body, making it useless without the transgo. So when I redid my tranny, I actually had to replace the valvebody. Which for me was ok, cause I was able to have it setup for my HP.

As far as the tranny mounts. Find a welder and have them weld you up some good brackets :D . Them suckers should at least hold pretty good, but that won't fix the problem

it would really depend on what type of shift kit was put on. When I used to have the transgo, I actually had to drill out my valve body, making it useless without the transgo. So when I redid my tranny, I actually had to replace the valvebody. Which for me was ok, cause I was able to have it setup for my HP.

As far as the tranny mounts. Find a welder and have them weld you up some good brackets :D . Them suckers should at least hold pretty good, but that won't fix the problem

The salesman at the dealership said that he thought the guy that traded it in said it was a b & m. however this same salesman had no idea what torque was so who knows if thats actually what it is. For now i think ill just get some good brackets like you suggested and not drive it so hard until i can get money to do the stuff you suggested earlier. Thanks for all the help bro i really appreciate it.

Anytime Brutha, that's why steve made this section. Seriously, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to throw it on this board or send me a pm. I might not respond immediately, but others on this board are pretty good about giving solid answers quickly as well.

Edited by str86diesel

when you start adding HP and shift kits to a car you will break things if you drive

it really hard..I had my front engine mount rip loose and the motor

hit the fire wall really hard

I had a trans axle explode and a peice of the tranny bell housing

went thru the fire wall and just missed my leg

and I also had the engine rip off the rear mount and the shifter

tore loose and dissapeared thru the floor...that one scared the

crap out of me..I was holding the shifter at the time and it was

ripped right out of my hand (front wheel drive)

I ended up putting solid pins thru the engine/tranny mounts

Edited by Thumpper