Second Skin Audio

Best Sub/ Port placement and gen. box advice needed in 18" 4 door Ram Setup

I'm looking for opinions, recommendation and advice on what would be the best box for me in my truck using 1 18" RD HW GP dual 2 ohm. It will be powered by a RD 3250 amp running at 1ohm.

First let me say its an 05 Ram Quad cab, and has a splitting 60/40 rear seat. I am removing the entire 60% seat, while leaving the 40% side for a passenger.

My max space available is 38" wide x 22" deep x 22" tall (could go taller if needed but prefer 22" as it allows for the seat to recline well.

Based on what I found, these subs tend to like 5-5.75 cu. ft. and tuned anywhere from 30~ish on up. A post I read Steve from RD said he personally liked around 5.25 cubes at 31hz. I've been toying around with sketchup and th RE visual box calculator and The two sketchs I have I think will be fairly close to that. Both my sketch box's are a little big and just a hair lower than my desired fs, but they are not including sub displacement. I am hoping that the displacement will them a hair closer to my desired freqency.

My questions are this....

1. Does it look the port sizing is correct and adequate? I don't really understand fully how to figure out sq. inches or port and this is the best I could do. Is a 4" wide port adequate as in minimal port wind noise?

2. Should the subs displacement which is not taken into account for on the sketch's raise the fs and reduce the internal cu. ft of the box enough?

3. And this is a big question for me. What would be the best placement of the sub and port? My two sketch's show 1 sub up/ port up with the sub in the center of truck, and the other shows port up/ sub facing forward center of the truck. Both show the port facing up on the pass. side of the box.

Let me state that I'm not going for an extreme spl setup, more of a "shake shit loose/ flex shit" setup, while still sounding somewhat decent with higher 60~ish hz.

If that info helps, which box is a better setup? Maybe they are both crap and you have a better idea? Like I said all advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

portupsubforward.jpg

portupsubup.jpg

-Dan Kasun

05' Dodge Ram 1500 QCSB Hemi Blow-thru build in progress.

2 RD HW18's, RD D9, 5 Deka 9a31's, 6th order blow-thru box, Eclipse 7200mkii HU, 140' Knu Kollossus wire. DC Power 270xp Alt, Etc.

As long as the port length and internal volume are correct both of those boxes are both fine.

The port area is found by multiplying the height be the width (72 in^2 for the first and 88 in^2 for the second)

There will not be a noticeable difference between the two.

I would recommend the top box configuration, as most people find that loading the port into the back of your vehicle and the sub facing up to be the best option.

As long as the port length and internal volume are correct both of those boxes are both fine.

The port area is found by multiplying the height be the width (72 in^2 for the first and 88 in^2 for the second)

There will not be a noticeable difference between the two.

I would recommend the top box configuration, as most people find that loading the port into the back of your vehicle and the sub facing up to be the best option.

Thanks. So if I understand you correctly, you suggest sub up and port back toward the bed?

-Dan Kasun

2 RD HW18's, RD D9, 5 Deka 9a31's, 6th order blow-thru box, Eclipse 7200mkii HU, 140' Knu Kollossus wire. DC Power 270xp Alt, Etc.

You say people find port back to be the best option. Do you know why exactly its the best option? Does it improve spl, or improve the lower notes?

Wouldn't it be an issue with port being very close to the body of the truck? I.E. port noise?

-Dan Kasun

• 2 weeks later...

Well after some more thought and research I've drawn up this box. What do you think about his box, how it will perform, etc? Should it perform better and move more air with the port being the length of the box?

boxxx1.jpg

boxxx2.jpg

-Dan Kasun

Alright guys take a look here. I think I have the final revision of the box I hope. Should give me enough plenty of clearance for the sub. I plan on 45'ing the corners, using 1/2" threaded rod to stiffen up the port walls, and I may try glassing the corners as well. Also might use Baltic Birch wood if I can find it locally. Also if I can find some 1" something I'd like to just use the 1" on the face of the box, and then use a piece of 34" over it but counter sink the sub and have it just mounted in the 1". I'll also be supporting the magnet of the sub with either wood, or another 1/2" threaded rod going all the way through.

Please let me know what you think as I always enjoy learning new things!

fullportup1.jpg

fullportup2.jpg

-Dan Kasun