Hibernate vs. Shutdown ???

say you have 1gig you'll load quicker than you would if you had 2 gigs

Wow ! That's interesting.With most things, more RAM means faster / better. I guess the fact that I'm running 8gigs makes other stuff smoother / faster, but definately takes longer to reboot, or come back up from hibernation.

But yea', just to reitterate, my PC takes quite a bit longer to come back of from hibernation, than it does a complete reboot, from shutdown. I can see where too..... Theirs an extra window that comes up and says "resuming".... and that page is up for like 1+ minutes, in addition to all the other stuff I'd see in a straight reboot. It's worth it though, with my PC being able to wake up at 2am, do all of its maintenance chores, then go back to hibernate, all on its own :)

+ now I have my back up hard drive hooked up, freshly backed up, and set to do an auto backup 1 night a week also, and again, all on its own :)

I'm pretty happy with the whole setup.

Peace,

Fish

Hibernate saves the info on your ram and shutdown doesnt, thats the main difference. They're in the process of making ram that stores your info for a quicker startup of your computer.

Boot time is also related to the amount of ram you have, so say you have 1gig you'll load quicker than you would if you had 2 gigs or more.

Actually, Hibernate saves your session on the hard disk, then shuts down the computer completely; whereas Sleep shuts down everything but your RAM, where your session is stored. RAM is ALOT faster then the hard drive, that's why putting your computer to Sleep will 'boot' faster.