Sonic Electronix

Yep thats a Lexicon 960L

*DROOL*

Jesus, those studio pics from the both of you are amazing! I do quite envy you both, just sitting in an anechoic environment with your friend, the console. A far cry from the typical gig.

Quick, I think the D1 is absolutely amazing. It is flexible, sounds fantastic and I can pass a whole show worth of audio up four MADI interface cables. I do like the internal effects, and the layout just makes sense. And it is light, a far cry from a Heritage 3000, though I will prefere the analogue console for quite some time methinks.

Cheers,

Mick

haha it's sure a whole different world than a live gig. i couldn't tell you which i like better, both have aspects i love and hate.

that's cool, i haven't messed with any digital board worth a damn except the DigigDesign Venue and it was pretty nice. all the other ones ive used had BIG TIME latency problems and they had a crazy noise floor, and all the digital effects and compression sounded awful. using just 4 lines is a big plus though.

but like any REAL engineer, id much rather have an analog desk, theres just something magical about an analog eq in a VCA desk. we got the PM3500M in today, for some reason i thought it was a 44+4 but its just 44. damn nice desk though, earlier this year it was gone through by Yamaha, all the faders and pots feel nice and smooth, very clean sounding. we're pretty happy with it.

heres a couple pics hope i uploaded the non blurry ones

img1257810352837.jpg

img1257810354210.jpg

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

i got a question guys.

i see these boards every once and a while and have no idea what everything means.

mostly all i see is the EQ

what all can be/is done on these massive things?

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

that's cool, i haven't messed with any digital board worth a damn except the DigigDesign Venue and it was pretty nice. all the other ones ive used had BIG TIME latency problems and they had a crazy noise floor, and all the digital effects and compression sounded awful. using just 4 lines is a big plus though.

but like any REAL engineer, id much rather have an analog desk, theres just something magical about an analog eq in a VCA desk. we got the PM3500M in today, for some reason i thought it was a 44+4 but its just 44. damn nice desk though, earlier this year it was gone through by Yamaha, all the faders and pots feel nice and smooth, very clean sounding. we're pretty happy with it.

I consider myself a real engineer, and I like Digital consoles. Just stay away from cheap consoles. DiGiCo and Digidesign are well known digi consoles. The MIDAS Pro6 and XL8 are apparently quite good. And I love, and I mean I really love, the Roland Vmixer with a Cat5E core. Portable, and sounds amazing.

But yes, there is a certain something about mixing on a bi 'ol VCA console.

IH8, apart from the EQ section you will have gain, HPF and polarity in the head amp section. Further down (or up, like a H4K) the channel strip you have the AUX section. An AUX send is a buss coming from that channel with variable output that is summed into an output with other channel AUX sends of the same number. It can be pre-fader (volume of the AUX output does not change with fader attenuation) or post-fader (fader attenuation changes AUX volume). AUX's are used for anything that requires another output from the console, examples being monitor mixes, show recordings, effects etc. Then you have Panorama control, fading left to right or left to center to right with center mix enabled consoles. Lastly, you have you fader and assignment controls. The fader is used for fine attenuation of the signal, while the assignment keys are used to assign a channel to a subgroup or VCA group.

Some consoles then have VCA MIDI Mute automation, fader automation, matrix mixes, multi-channel strips (CADAC), talkback strips, oscillators, meter bridges etc. I've even used a console with a cup holder!

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

you guys have done something amazing for me

i think im going to try and make my way into one of these good companies as a design engineer

i love this stuff

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

you guys have done something amazing for me

i think im going to try and make my way into one of these good companies as a design engineer

i love this stuff

Happy to help. Wish you the best of luck if you decide to give it a shot. Find a show or gig happening, and volunteer to crew it. Soak up as much as you can, do as you are told and work hard. Good crew will work hard, carry Nashua gaffer's tape and FOR GOD'S SAKE WEAR DEODORANT! IT'S NOT HARD ROAD CREW! You'll learn a lot, and make a good impression. Then see where you go from there!

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

I consider myself a real engineer, and I like Digital consoles. Just stay away from cheap consoles. DiGiCo and Digidesign are well known digi consoles. The MIDAS Pro6 and XL8 are apparently quite good. And I love, and I mean I really love, the Roland Vmixer with a Cat5E core. Portable, and sounds amazing.

But yes, there is a certain something about mixing on a bi 'ol VCA console.

IH8, apart from the EQ section you will have gain, HPF and polarity in the head amp section. Further down (or up, like a H4K) the channel strip you have the AUX section. An AUX send is a buss coming from that channel with variable output that is summed into an output with other channel AUX sends of the same number. It can be pre-fader (volume of the AUX output does not change with fader attenuation) or post-fader (fader attenuation changes AUX volume). AUX's are used for anything that requires another output from the console, examples being monitor mixes, show recordings, effects etc. Then you have Panorama control, fading left to right or left to center to right with center mix enabled consoles. Lastly, you have you fader and assignment controls. The fader is used for fine attenuation of the signal, while the assignment keys are used to assign a channel to a subgroup or VCA group.

Some consoles then have VCA MIDI Mute automation, fader automation, matrix mixes, multi-channel strips (CADAC), talkback strips, oscillators, meter bridges etc. I've even used a console with a cup holder!

Cheers,

Mick

couldn't of said it better myself.

i guess i havent used enough GOOD digital consoles to really like any of them, but i know within a few years we'll end up having to buy a digital desk to meet technical riders, but until then, PM4K's and 3500's are still rider acceptable, they sound great, and travel really well.

the monitors and amp racks are supposed to be here tomorrow, so hopefully the weather wont be like it is now and we'll be able to go pick it up from the shipping terminal.

oh and what console had a cup holder?! that's a good and bad idea at the same time. i never can find anywhere to set my drink other than on top of an effects rack (dont like to do that) or the ground, but if it was to spill on the console, that'd be BAD lol.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

Happy to help. Wish you the best of luck if you decide to give it a shot. Find a show or gig happening, and volunteer to crew it. Soak up as much as you can, do as you are told and work hard. Good crew will work hard, carry Nashua gaffer's tape and FOR GOD'S SAKE WEAR DEODORANT! IT'S NOT HARD ROAD CREW! You'll learn a lot, and make a good impression. Then see where you go from there!

Cheers,

Mick

i lol'd pretty hard.

only because its so true.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

couldn't of said it better myself.

i guess i havent used enough GOOD digital consoles to really like any of them, but i know within a few years we'll end up having to buy a digital desk to meet technical riders, but until then, PM4K's and 3500's are still rider acceptable, they sound great, and travel really well.

the monitors and amp racks are supposed to be here tomorrow, so hopefully the weather wont be like it is now and we'll be able to go pick it up from the shipping terminal.

oh and what console had a cup holder?! that's a good and bad idea at the same time. i never can find anywhere to set my drink other than on top of an effects rack (dont like to do that) or the ground, but if it was to spill on the console, that'd be BAD lol.

It was some ancient console with a brain that could be updated via CD. They took the CD drive tray, and cut it out so it perfectly fit a large coke cup and spare straws! It was great!

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Archived