Sonic Electronix

So for you studio guys, lately i've been hearing that the newest ProTools is quite buggy. Have you guys experienced this? Also, I would like to hear what other digital multitracking programs you guys would suggest. The studio where i've always done my recording has been all based off the Mackie HDR and D8B set ups, but the owner wants to drop a ton to get two 8x core mac towers to run ProTools HD and leave behind a lot of his external gear(compressors, effects). Personally, I think that he should keep the external stuff, but like the idea of upgrading everything else! Anything worth telling him about?

Ride - 2006 Scion xB

Equipment:

H.U. - Kenwood KDC-X793

Amps - Memphis 16-MC2.100

Memphis 16-MC1.1100

Front Stage - Memphis 15-MCC6 6.5 Components with silk dome tweets

Subs - Memphis 15-M310D4 10" Sub (x2)

Custom box 3.02 ft3 after displacement, tuned to 37 hz

Big 3

Second Skin Damplifier

Coming soon:

Kinetik HC1400

H.O. Alt

AudioControl three.1

I like ProTools, but be aware that the onboard effects will never replace good quality outboard gear. I haven't experienced any bugs other than my usual ones, but I will keep and eye out.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

So for you studio guys, lately i've been hearing that the newest ProTools is quite buggy. Have you guys experienced this? Also, I would like to hear what other digital multitracking programs you guys would suggest. The studio where i've always done my recording has been all based off the Mackie HDR and D8B set ups, but the owner wants to drop a ton to get two 8x core mac towers to run ProTools HD and leave behind a lot of his external gear(compressors, effects). Personally, I think that he should keep the external stuff, but like the idea of upgrading everything else! Anything worth telling him about?

im not a pro tools guy, only used it a few times. but in our studio we have a Tascam X48 that we record to, and LOVE it. the converters in it are fantastic, it sounds great, and it's its own stand alone computer, you hook a mouse, keyboard and moniitor to it and fire it up. the X48 is the only thing digital in our studio, we just use it for storage and editing. all the effects are analog outboard gear. and in my experience with the whole pro tools/mac thing in the studio, unless you drop big time $$$ on the good converters you just wont get a very good sounding end product. we have a G4 mac with 2 dual core processors and a ton of ram, we used to use Digital Performer on it for loop based rap projects and whatnot. but now we have the X48 and it can do all that DP could do. and im not a huge fan of the whole plugin thing.

I like ProTools, but be aware that the onboard effects will never replace good quality outboard gear. I haven't experienced any bugs other than my usual ones, but I will keep and eye out.

Cheers,

Mick

x2

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

Yeah... ProTools is EXTREMELY costly, and thats why I was asking about some of this, cause my bud that owns this studio is looking to be spending $10k on each computer and then the $10k for HD and on and on and on, and if he thinks that it will take him to the next level, then by all means. But if he can go to the next level and save 50k, then BY ALL MEANS!!!

Ride - 2006 Scion xB

Equipment:

H.U. - Kenwood KDC-X793

Memphis 16-MC1.1100

Big 3

Second Skin Damplifier

Coming soon:

Kinetik HC1400

H.O. Alt

AudioControl three.1

Yeah... ProTools is EXTREMELY costly, and thats why I was asking about some of this, cause my bud that owns this studio is looking to be spending $10k on each computer and then the $10k for HD and on and on and on, and if he thinks that it will take him to the next level, then by all means. But if he can go to the next level and save 50k, then BY ALL MEANS!!!

tell him to look into the Tascam X-48. the editing and loop based stuff may not be as good as a pro tools rig, but the X-48 costs WAY less than a full on pro tools setup.

we went from 2 Tascam MX 2424's to the X-48 and it was a night and day difference.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

hey bigg boy

i was looking at those pics you posted and,

l_2d7d38824ea54cf7b719c6c6b2214585.jpg

this one, it looks oddly familiar. where is that at?

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

have a 2 day gig last night and tonight, last night went decent, both bands weren't the greatest, and the second band had ridiculous stage volume. had it sounding pretty good though. damn sax player kept hitting the mic with his moracca(sp?), at least it was just a 58

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

Hahaha... nice!!! Those things sure can take a beating! Next time you set up for a band, and they're doing soundcheck, and need one more mic, just take a 58 and throw it at them from the FOH mixer... I'm sure it could handle it!

Ride - 2006 Scion xB

Equipment:

H.U. - Kenwood KDC-X793

Memphis 16-MC1.1100

Big 3

Second Skin Damplifier

Coming soon:

Kinetik HC1400

H.O. Alt

AudioControl three.1

haha yeah, shure's can take a beating.

i got a bunch of pics of the amp racks and stuff i need to upload off my phone.

one day ill bring the real camera out and get some good pics.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

Archived