Sonic Electronix

Got the high school I graduated from to lend us the auditorium for Monday and Tuesday so we can go do some fine tuning, testing, and tech work.

Loaded up the truck tonight, it's COLD!

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Testing went great, figured out some things we need to get done before a big show. Had weird power in the building, they have a 300 amp 3 phase service for the light system, but the ground is like a 4 gauge wire when the rest is 4/0 or bigger. And when you put a meter on the ground and neutral to see if they were bonded, it cycled. Not a constant continuity beep, but a slow cycle. Very weird. And with the weird power in there came hums and buzzes in the PA. The FOH effects units had a ground loop problem we never completely got rid of, and the FOH console did, but we got that straightened out quickly. But 12 Apogee 3x3's and 8 Showco Prism double 18's straight GET DOWN! None of the amps were even working that hard at all. We need 2 more 3x3's to finish the rig but even with 12 we can do pretty much any gig that comes our way. Got all the monitors in phase with FOH and got them time aligned and an EQ curve set up for them. Got 'em sounding pretty good, and if the Showco BFM's aren't enough monitor for anyone, then they are freakin' deaf! WOW do they get loud.

The room down there is one awful sounding room. Block walls and same angles all around. And I don't know if the room was designed to amplify the vocal frequencies or what, but the midrange frequencies are strange in there.

Anyway on to the pics

img1261551242211.jpg

img1261550781722.jpg

img1261551100385.jpg

img1261550783929.jpg

img1261551099239.jpg

img1261551098010.jpg

Didn't take any pics of the amp racks and stuff set up because wiring up on stage was a nightmare caused by cables being too short and having to move racks here and there to make cable lengths work.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

got all of the noise out of the monitor rack and most out of the FOH rack. apparently we have to isolate each piece of gear from the rack rails to get the rest of the noise out. at least it worked by taking the screws out and silding something out to where it wasnt touching the rack rails. weird. gotta get some nylon washers.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

Hmm, sounds like your source isn't star grounded. You shouldn't need to isolate like that.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

It's not star grounded. I don't know how we would do a star ground system with a live rig, we have a star ground system in the studio, but I don't know how we'd do that with a live rig in a different venue all the time.

Care to shed some light on the subject? :)

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

• 1 month later...

Oh man finally got out and worked a show the other day. Just brought stacks and racks for a band that was traveling with their own engineer, snake, console. But it felt good to put the rig to work, had 4 tops and 4 subs a side. The bands were Meredith Andrews, Pocket Full of Rocks, and Todd Agnew. Was a pretty decent show. And Meredith Andrews was hot lol.

The engineer, was actually an ex claire guy, and could mix decently. He liked to muddy things up a little much though. They had a M7CL and once again I wasn't impressed with it.

The digital compression distorted the singers' voices every time they would get into it at all, there wasn't a nice quality to anyone's voice like there is with a good analog desk.

I guess I'm just spoiled :D lol

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well been a while since I posted in here, let's get this thread back going. We've been busy :)

Got some new sub amps.

4 Clair/QSC CBA 9000's

24345_1359216152174_1584647120_807789_7638059_n.jpg

They're pretty nasty, can't wait to have the whole rig set up in May for a big festival with these things pushing the subs.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

Sorry matey, I haven't been in this thread for some time. Lost in the depths of the old topic basement with Alpine and the other gremlins....

Not a whole lot happening hear in Oz at the moment except for that Justin Lieber fellow caused a prepubescent riot. And as said, I can't tour anymore with my three slipped disks....

I have a nice little venue to do up on the cheap at the moment, real challenge. The budget for the WHOLE install is $4000AUS. They have a pair of Peavey SP118's and EV SX200's for FOH, but the entire venue is also mixed down in 5.1 Each subgroup is sent to a DSP channel for filtering and alignment, then to a seperate amplifier channel. Two clustered 60x40 speakers on the proscenium arch for centre, and two 60x40 speakers for rear fills. Works really well for their small performances, as you can have panorama surround effects in plays, watch 5.1 movies cinema style (nice big projector. 10 meter screen should do it). Big challenge, as there is NO budget, but heaps of fun. I won't be back for a while, but when I am, I'll grab a few pics.

The other cool thing the venue has is a Strand PALETTE Basic lighting desk. This thing has a built in webserver, so add in a java script and a few HTML files and you can control the console via iPhone interface.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Sorry matey, I haven't been in this thread for some time. Lost in the depths of the old topic basement with Alpine and the other gremlins....

Not a whole lot happening hear in Oz at the moment except for that Justin Lieber fellow caused a prepubescent riot. And as said, I can't tour anymore with my three slipped disks....

I have a nice little venue to do up on the cheap at the moment, real challenge. The budget for the WHOLE install is $4000AUS. They have a pair of Peavey SP118's and EV SX200's for FOH, but the entire venue is also mixed down in 5.1 Each subgroup is sent to a DSP channel for filtering and alignment, then to a seperate amplifier channel. Two clustered 60x40 speakers on the proscenium arch for centre, and two 60x40 speakers for rear fills. Works really well for their small performances, as you can have panorama surround effects in plays, watch 5.1 movies cinema style (nice big projector. 10 meter screen should do it). Big challenge, as there is NO budget, but heaps of fun. I won't be back for a while, but when I am, I'll grab a few pics.

The other cool thing the venue has is a Strand PALETTE Basic lighting desk. This thing has a built in webserver, so add in a java script and a few HTML files and you can control the console via iPhone interface.

Cheers,

Mick

Hahaha

Yeah 3 slipped disks can prove to be a problem, my dad/boss is missing 2 and is still doing this, I don't know how though.

Sounds like a cool venue, too bad they don't have more of a budget, you could do a lot in there. The 5.1 mixdown live would be fun to do. And those Strand lighting desks are cool, the high school I went to had an older Strand (don't remember model) that used a computer and a console that connected via ethernet, and the computer was dos based. Took me about a week of screwing with it and digging in the manual to figure out how to operate it, it had some kind of networking options, and a section for wireless iirc, and I always wondered if I could setup something for an iphone/itouch.

Good to hear you're doing well though Mick, good luck on the install.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

Archived