Second Skin Audio

How much air space?

Dan208

I've got a 2000 Dodge Dakota Club Cab. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how much air space I can get under the rear seats? I don't have a problem ripping out the jack holder, storage tray, etc, but I really don't want to do any kind of modifications like lifting the seats and such.

I did find a Q-Logic enclosure for a single 8" sub that is .35 cubic feet. I know that MTX makes Thunderforms (or whatever they are called now) that hold 2 10's, but I'm having trouble finding what kind of airspace they run. These were just for references. If I can make it work I will build my own enclosure.

The thing that worries me is finding a GOOD sub that will fit. I'm looking at brands like Fi, DC, IA, etc, but I don't know if there will be enough room for those that have larger magnets.

Now it's obvious that I'm not going for an SPL monster, but I would like quite a bit of output if possible. I'll be using an MTX RFL600D and would like to run it at 2 ohms. I listen to just about everything.

I'm not real sure what to do. The only other thing I can think of is take the passenger side rear seat off (it's split something like 80/20) and build a box in that space. It would stick up over the remaining seat line, but as long as I make it look "stock" it would work just fine for me. If I did it that way I could go with a larger sub. :D

Anyway, that's what I'm working with here. Any thoughts or ideas?

Dan

most likely you wont be able to put a woofer over 5.5" inches, if that, in depth under any back seat with my experience. plus with the airspace is very limited. you might look into some shallow mount subwoofers. ive been quite impressed when using them for this situation. hope this helps man.

www.myspace.com/geraldwp

www.myspace.com/npcaraudio

625005231.png

Got some pictures taken, but I'm still trying to figure out how to post them. :unknw:

Anyway, after looking at it, it doesn't seem like I've got much space to work with as far as under the seats. However, I have no problem unbolting the seat on the reat passenger side and using that space (I'd try to make it look as "stock" as possible). The storage tray underneath the rest of the seat looks like it might be a good amp rack candidate.

I'll work on getting these pictures up later.

Archived