Sonic Electronix

i personally say glass over the port holes, it requires less power and would sound better, since its such a small box.

kinda off topic, but i want to buy a golf cart, and dont know what i look out for. im trying to find an old beater one, on the cheap. any advice? just a lil toy, maybe put an atv engine and rear end in, just a toy.

any advice friend?

and yeah, that top u talked about would help. so would doors lol.

but with the cart open, ported wont sound very loud. also, shoulda used waterproof drivers, but thats imo.

If going with a ported wont give me the low Umph that i am expecting, i suppose i can go back to a sealed enclosure.. I just didnt really like the performance of a sealed enclosure on another cart when i had it, but if the ported doesnt work right, i will go the sealed root, it would just make things easer i suppose..

Cart wize, first thing.. you looking for electric or gas? then i can guide you down the right path :good:

Buggies Gone Wild, sweet My '73 Harley is on there somewhere I believe.

Could you not go with bigger round ports for a shorter port length and less port noise?

Was your the harley that was fully re done, and had the nice custom upholstry,? and the fancy wheels? and called "ill red" if so, i remember that one..

Or the one that looked like a jeep? if so that one was pretty neat as well

Seing that i am going to re-do the ports, would going with a square port vs a round port be more benifical in this case? Reason being is that the pre fab round ports that are avalabe in my area are way too short to get the proper tuning fequency.. so the ones i have right now, i extended them using fiberglass. But originaly i didnt want to go with a rectangular port right off the bat because of looks. But if its what i need to do to get these to work properly, then im all for going with a slot rectangular port. :)

Edited by MonsterGolf
dsc0045qe.jpgfuncart1.jpgdsc1262p.jpgdsc1524croped.jpg

Was your the harley that was fully re done, and had the nice custom upholstry,? and the fancy wheels? and called "ill red" if so, i remember that one..

Or the one that looked like a jeep? if so that one was pretty neat as well

No its the one that had the Jeep frontend fabbed up to it.

BGW Jeep Harley Davidson Link

CABCopyright.png

88-98 GM Full Size Forum www.GMT400.com

i put fuses on power wires, and condoms on fuses, to keep the fuses safe!

Are you certain it's port noise? Check that the ports and woofers have a really good seal to the box, and also check that the box isn't flexing/resonating wierdly. That should be enough port for those subs to not have insane amounts of port noise.

Could possibly stuff the box with dacron too, which should lower the port velocity some as well.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Are you certain it's port noise? Check that the ports and woofers have a really good seal to the box, and also check that the box isn't flexing/resonating wierdly. That should be enough port for those subs to not have insane amounts of port noise.

Could possibly stuff the box with dacron too, which should lower the port velocity some as well.

Let me hook it up to the amp again, and ill stuff it with some filling to see if that helps..

Then if i can, ill try and do a video that hopefully will pick up the noize, and what the ports are doing.. :good:

Let me hook it up to the amp again, and ill stuff it with some filling to see if that helps..

Then if i can, ill try and do a video that hopefully will pick up the noize, and what the ports are doing.. :good:

Good luck with the fill. You got me out in my shop working on my cart again. Mine just needed a relay changed out and a tire fixed but I just let it set for a long time...

Do you run the voltage regulator for your battery bank to drop it to 12v for your accessories or a separate 12v source batt(s)?

CABCopyright.png

88-98 GM Full Size Forum www.GMT400.com

i put fuses on power wires, and condoms on fuses, to keep the fuses safe!

Good luck with the fill. You got me out in my shop working on my cart again. Mine just needed a relay changed out and a tire fixed but I just let it set for a long time...

Do you run the voltage regulator for your battery bank to drop it to 12v for your accessories or a separate 12v source batt(s)?

I have a seperate 12v deep cycle batt to run all my goodies.. The largest voltage converter only handles about 25-30amps. The sub amp alone would cook it. But a volt converter would work fine for just a head unit. I also have a onboard 12v marine 20amp charger to keep the battery topped up between beat blastins. :)

Btw i just did a video, but when i play it back the cam mic cant really pick up the noize. ill post the vid prob tomorow or monday.. but i will describe it the best i can.. It kinda makes the sound like when you put a plastic bag in a port or something similar.. That rattle, woof sound..

I know i dont have anything loose in the enclosure, and the speakers arnt cliping or bottoming out or anything.. it does it from low all the way to high volume.. Ive just got that feeling that the ports are just too small. It doesnt have any low bass at all, just the ports shake like crazy.. When i stuff the ports close, and seal it to simulate a sealed enclousre.. it sounds like a normal sealed enclosure. No awkward noizes.

Now i had another thought.. could the subs be out of phaze?? ive checked the wiring like 3 times over, and it should all work normaly. Anything i should do differently when wiring up 2 2ohm dual voice coil subs.. i have it set up to be 2 ohms at the amp. Each speaker in series for 4 ohms each, then the 2 speakers in parallel for a total of 2 ohms. Both are wiried the same.. no crossed +, -

I checked the math for port cross sectional area. right now i got about 14.13in2 of flow area.. if i go with the rectangualr port that i would like to go with now.. i would get around 20in2 of area is that enough port flow for these 2 subs?

Edited by MonsterGolf

How solidly are the ports fixed to the box? Make sure the flares aren't rattling against each other inside the box and check the joints in the pipe section of the port.

Port noise is usually more of a whooshing sound, almost a whistle if it's REALLY bad. (EDIT: Sometimes you'll get a kind of buzz/rattle from a small air leak) From your description it sounds more like a rattle in the ports to me. You have plenty of port area already, certainly not little enough to be causing huge amounts of port noise, hence why I'm saying to look deeper.

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

How solidly are the ports fixed to the box? Make sure the flares aren't rattling against each other inside the box and check the joints in the pipe section of the port.

Port noise is usually more of a whooshing sound, almost a whistle if it's REALLY bad. (EDIT: Sometimes you'll get a kind of buzz/rattle from a small air leak) From your description it sounds more like a rattle in the ports to me. You have plenty of port area already, certainly not little enough to be causing huge amounts of port noise, hence why I'm saying to look deeper.

The fact that you mention flares on the inside is of a concern to me.. these ports are not flared on the inside end of the port.. and i think that could be the issue im having.

damn it..one of these days lol

Currently:

2015 Evo X WW

Forgestar F14 18s --Rally Armour Mudflaps

ETS 3.5" FMIC, CAI, Open Dump DownPipe, Test Pipe, Ultimate Racing Catback, BLEVINS TUNE, Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers

Build:

Crescendo Mezzos x2

Crescendo 800.4, 1500.1

Loaded Fi Q12

Second Skin Pro

XS D5100

RF 360.2

Sky High Audio Wiring

Need: ALTERNATOR!

PREVIOUS

1999 Grand Prix GTX

3.8L S/C-few modsWheels: Ruff Racing 280 19x8.5 Sub: Fully Loaded

12" Fi BTL Amps: Autotek MM3000.1d Sundown SAX-100.4HU/Tweets/mids:

Alpine D310 + H701, TBI HDSS tweets, Mpyr audio 65m x4extra sheit:

knukonceptz 0, 4, rcas, speaker wire EA 200amp alt HC 2400

TEAM DEADLY HERTZ!!

Financial Consultant- Charles Schwab

Well guys, i got a bit of an update.. I tried it with some polyfill , and well it helped a little.. there was just lots of that unwanted noize.

So i decided to go back to a sealed box. I ran some more port sizes and hz through the port calculator, and i just cant get the port i want to work in this box. Its not deep enough.. SO the past fiew days ive spend repatching the holes with fiberglass and getting it all polished up. I just need to get some short stran fiberglass filler to finish off the holes, and then off to body filler and primer.

I wish i had these subs to test the box before i put the holes in it for the ports, but oh well . you learn :pardon:

So anyways i did the first 4 layers inside the box where the ports were, and then let it set, the next day i quickly put the subs in, and it works much better. Although its not the low bass that i was expecting.. not a biggie i suppose.. atleast i will still give me a quality bass with the whole system.

Thanks for all the help, and i will keep updating this thead when things evolve. i sitll have to do the roof, so that will be a fun build. :good:

I stll though want to do ported boxes when i have time to do the systems in my vehicles.

Edited by MonsterGolf