Second Skin Audio

Truck Enclosure Quesiton

I'd say the guy helping you just doesn't have the know how to build an unusually shaped ported box, or is just lazy. I say port that bitch. It just takes some patience and a little math to get your tuning correct. I say do it right. Port it, me and sealed don't get along.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

ok cool..it's not that he's lazy i don't think...i think he just builds a lot more sealed enclosures for trucks and i think he might be afraid to try it and me not like it? idk but i'll definitely talk to him about it. i also asked the guy at TREO if he had heard anything about porting a downfire enclosure...he said something about making the port 4 inches shorter than what the recommended enclosure specs call for? have you heard this before?

ok cool..it's not that he's lazy i don't think...i think he just builds a lot more sealed enclosures for trucks and i think he might be afraid to try it and me not like it? idk but i'll definitely talk to him about it. i also asked the guy at TREO if he had heard anything about porting a downfire enclosure...he said something about making the port 4 inches shorter than what the recommended enclosure specs call for? have you heard this before?

No, I haven't. But I don't ever use manufactuers box specs. I built boxes for what I like, or plan to do with the system. I've built several truck under/behind seat boxes and I've never had to do a downfire enclosure. Did he say anything about slot porting it? Slot ported boxes utilize shorter port length to attain same frequency as a non slot port.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

I have built ported boxes that downfire, upfire, backfire (Wait, that didn't sound right!) and never had any problems unless the port is smothered by something. Just keep your port clear and your enclosure will not care which direction you turn it.

Your truck will though. With an underseat truck box, it would be great if you can get that floor moving because that's where your "cabin gain" effect will come from.

Don't build a sealed box unless your sub NEEDS a sealed box. If it will work in a ported box, definitely do that.

what kind of things would smother it? the reason i'm having to downfire is because putting it under my backseat which has just right at 5 inches of space between the floor and the seat bottom...i'm going to have to raise the seat a little so i just decided that downfiring it might be better than having the subs shooting up into the seat bottoms...would you put the port in the same direction as the sub (down) even if there will not be a lot of room between the bottom of the box and the floor?

• 2 weeks later...