Sonic Electronix

Pros and Cons... Passive Radiators?

A college professor asked me the other day. Why don't you use a passive radiator. All I could really tell him is that I have never used them and don't want too. That I think they would choke the subs because of no actual port with the free air moving when the subs hit a lower frequency than the port. Can someone please tell me some pro's and con's so I have a better arguement?

2004 Mustang

3 18s

6 crossfire bmf 1700s strapped @ .5

161.2 db Daily driver

159.4 @ 45 hz

158.7 @ 35 hz

154.4 @ 25 hz

Team Hz Addiction

http://www.youtube.com/Drek75633

DSBP_blue.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive heard ppl use em in house setups to keep down size of box n help better with sq, logitech has a setup with one n it wangs, has like a 5&1/4 behind a 10''

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

ive heard ppl use em in house setups to keep down size of box n help better with sq, logitech has a setup with one n it wangs, has like a 5&1/4 behind a 10''

Mr. Hall meant for car set ups. Because he knows somehow that I'm goin to put 18's in my car pretty soon. And he asked why don't I use them. I will say this. They are great for sq. But I spl too.

2004 Mustang

3 18s

161.2 db Daily driver

159.4 @ 45 hz

158.7 @ 35 hz

154.4 @ 25 hz

Team Hz Addiction

DSBP_blue.jpg

if you read the literature on it, a passive radiator can give you the output of a ported box with the size and easy of designing of a sealed box.

boston makes a great passive radiator box. It legitimately sounds like a nice ported box, but its only about 1 cube. It is kinda touchy on positioning though as the radiator faces opposite the sub.

but a well designed ported box can give more spl, or better extension. radiator is mostly if you're trying to save space

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

Ive done passives many times, but I just dont know how to calculate the specs on a passive

But what happens is, you use a high fs (example 10) behind a low Fs 10" passive, and even though that high fs 10 cant play say a 30hz tone, the passive will go wild on it

we used to build a 1000w home audio set up using a 45hz Fs 10" sub in a 0.5cf box sealed, behind a 0.3cf sealed box, with a passive radiator, and in this set up, the subs played flat to 20hz, and even down to 16hz I believe, if I remember correctly, cleanly

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

ive only ever heard them in home audio....

Full eclipse system is next on list.. soon to gut and redo the honda as new project/rolling buissness card :)

i miss the sound of those old school strokers on beast amps :(

I love sound quality as much as the next person. But like I said. I'm mainly spl. Just as long as it sounds decent I'm fine with it. I seen that audiopulse makes passive radiators 10 inch 12 inch 15 inch and 18 inch in size.

2004 Mustang

3 18s

161.2 db Daily driver

159.4 @ 45 hz

158.7 @ 35 hz

154.4 @ 25 hz

Team Hz Addiction

DSBP_blue.jpg

if you like SPL, not SQ as much, well, passive go alot lower, but you lack the SPL output

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

maby u can show ur teacher this, i was gunna find it a while back but i had to go to school

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

looks like a cool ass idea to do with a old basket n vc/cone asemly to play wit

but as foreverbumpin said it does mainly go with the fs of the woofer on how well it will play together

and if u wanna get technical i wanna kno if anyone has ever done an efficent isobaric setup with 4 woofers, the push pull doesnt look like it will work as good as a passive radiator would

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

maby u can show ur teacher this, i was gunna find it a while back but i had to go to school

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

looks like a cool ass idea to do with a old basket n vc/cone asemly to play wit

but as foreverbumpin said it does mainly go with the fs of the woofer on how well it will play together

and if u wanna get technical i wanna kno if anyone has ever done an efficent isobaric setup with 4 woofers, the push pull doesnt look like it will work as good as a passive radiator would

hey... you posted my vid before i could ..haha

those E8s use my blown axis top assembly as the radiator, it sounded great in my car. its in my room shakin my house now.

one thing i saw about doin this is you need the radiator to move twice as much volume as the speaker pushing it.

Archived