Who here is a linux admin/guru

I was learning linux a year ago but took the linux computer down but now I have it back up because I just wanna brute force packet some people LOL ;) anyone on here that can teach me some basic things because I do not remember a darn thing. I can't even shell an exe properly?? xD

I was learning linux a year ago but took the linux computer down but now I have it back up because I just wanna brute force packet some people LOL ;) anyone on here that can teach me some basic things because I do not remember a darn thing. I can't even shell an exe properly?? xD

shell an exe?

brute force packet some people?

you really have a ~lot~ to learn about computers, the internet, and linux.

well then tell me.....?

u r SU!?!?!?!

you have got to be trolling...

ubuntu != linux

real linux users don't call the root account SU and don't rely on sudo.

download a linux distro, install it on your computer, try to get by day to day for a while, google is your friend, there are plenty of chatrooms on irc.freenode.net dedicated to specific distros for you to hang out in and learn from.

get used to working your way around the filesystem with bash or sh.

learn what an exe is and why it's only place in linux is with wine.

make sense of this command, every single character of it.

./configure --prefix=/usr && make mrproper && make && make install DESTDIR=/tmp/$pkgname

learn what the numbers in chmod 755 mean, what altering them does, and how they effect different targets.

and remember, i've said it before, i'll say it again to stress it. google is your friend.

practice your google-foo and it shall serve you well.

oh and the final thing. RTFM

you have got to be trolling...

ubuntu != linux

real linux users don't call the root account SU and don't rely on sudo.

download a linux distro, install it on your computer, try to get by day to day for a while, google is your friend, there are plenty of chatrooms on irc.freenode.net dedicated to specific distros for you to hang out in and learn from.

get used to working your way around the filesystem with bash or sh.

learn what an exe is and why it's only place in linux is with wine.

make sense of this command, every single character of it.

./configure --prefix=/usr && make mrproper && make && make install DESTDIR=/tmp/$pkgname

learn what the numbers in chmod 755 mean, what altering them does, and how they effect different targets.

and remember, i've said it before, i'll say it again to stress it. google is your friend.

practice your google-foo and it shall serve you well.

oh and the final thing. RTFM

yes I understand exe's are not in linux or atleast not called exe I just cannot remember the name. I am using centos5.3? GNOME. I just don't really remember ANY commands. All I can really do at this point is cd and ls all day lol. I have been trying to install this nvidia driver but cannot remember the command :/ Just hooked this thing back up like 2 hours ago and no one is on IRC FTL lol

yes I understand exe's are not in linux or atleast not called exe I just cannot remember the name. I am using centos5.3? GNOME. I just don't really remember ANY commands. All I can really do at this point is cd and ls all day lol. I have been trying to install this nvidia driver but cannot remember the command :/ Just hooked this thing back up like 2 hours ago and no one is on IRC FTL lol

if it's the nvidia installer sh from nvidia.com, kill X if it's running (may have to switch runlevels with telinit) then from your root account sh NVIDIA-blahblahwhatever.sh

ps -A to see running processes

less or more to view the contents of a file (like /etc/inittab to see what runlevel you default to on boot)

you can pipe commands to other commands for further processing ( sensors|grep Core|cut -c15-16,19 )

oh and compiled programs are called binaries

Edited by sanitarium

if it's the nvidia installer sh from nvidia.com, kill X if it's running (may have to switch runlevels with telinit) then from your root account sh NVIDIA-blahblahwhatever.sh

ps -A to see running processes

less or more to view the contents of a file (like /etc/inittab to see what runlevel you default to on boot)

you can pipe commands to other commands for further processing ( sensors|grep Core|cut -c15-16,19 )

oh and compiled programs are called binaries

yeah I tried doing this before and I think I set it to run level 3 to be able to sh it but ran into some other error, gotta keep messing with it. I thought you could double tap... shift...? and it would fill in the bin or file in that directory that you were typing?

yeah I tried doing this before and I think I set it to run level 3 to be able to sh it but ran into some other error, gotta keep messing with it. I thought you could double tap... shift...? and it would fill in the bin or file in that directory that you were typing?

tab completion for filenames and commands not shift .

tab completion for filenames and commands not shift .

OHHH. I got an X server error said I need to stop x server to continue so ctrl+alt+F1 for terminal? and what do I hot to get back into desktop?? ctrl+alt+F7?