Sundown Audio

Amp making weird noise with gain knob

white4d96

Oh, and, uh...what the hell is this thing?

25November022-1.jpg

thats your BUTTERworth crossover. just a slab of good ole' butter.

:rofl: just playing. don't take that serious.

Okay, now the noise is completely gone. Amp still acts like shit, lost a ton of output, never sounds clean. but there's still no traces of damage on the board that I can discern. I am completely fucking confused. I don't know what to do. Is there a way to check the fets? Or something?

Too many projects, too little time...

It's one of 2 things - bad caps or bad solder joint on the power transformer. EDIT: Ugh didn't read your bit about lost output but still, this could be the cause.

Open it up, grab the main power transformer (the colourful donut) and give it a decent tweak. Power the amp up again and see if the noise is gone. If it is, you probably need to re-solder the transformer. I think I can almost see a cracked joint in one of the pics but I can't be sure.

25November016.jpg

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Tweaking the transformer didn't seem to alter the noise but it did seem to improve the sound.

I'm tempted to just ship it to dB-R or someone and see if they can give it the once-over. They would send me a quote if they found an issue, correct?

Okay still no idea, fet feet are fine, so confused...

In the meantime, have a youtube. The sound didn't really pick up well, as i figured, but you may be able to pick it out if you really listen.

EDIT: FAIL for not posting youtube

DOUBLE FAIL for fail posting youtube

Archived