Sundown Audio

Amp making weird noise with gain knob

white4d96

My MTX amp is making a strange noise near the power/ground block. It responds directly with how the gain knob is turned (if gain is down, noise goes away.) I just switched to 1/0 ground wire and did the big 2 (didnt do chassis to engine yet) in my old amp wire. The ground on the 1/0 was completely coated in solder when I got it. Could this be the source of the problem? Or is it probably a popped fet or something?

Too many projects, too little time...

Where is the sound coming from ie Subs or mids and highs or both? Is it a crackle or what

I will try and get a video sometime this week.

It's like a staticky sound coming from in the amp, in the same corner as the power+ground blocks.

No dice on recording the noise but I did lop the soldered end off the wire and the noise is still there. If anything its gotten worse over time. Now it makes one noise when turned on and another when it has a signal going into it. I will try to get a video as soon as possible.

Another thing, I popped the cover off and took a look at the board and found no anomalies that I could notice. Should I start checking fets with a DMM?

bro that solder has nothing to do with anything. it had a soldered terminal on it. then the bolt going through the eye was tac welded. to get the wire off i heated the terminal and took the wire out. you should of cut off the soldered part before hooking it up it was less than an inch. i would have but forgot.

REST IN PARADISE BIG RICH (Sqmonte) never forgotten

Why do you guys ALWAYS dispute on NUMBERS?????

It's such a played out argument, so fucking annoying....

It's 12 fuckin 15's.... It's louder than you... Shut the fuck up...

/Rant

:)

I'm so jealous, it makes me want to club baby seals. That shit gets down HARD!

dont buy from knowledge he will scam you.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/30995-official-knowledge-feedback/

bro that solder has nothing to do with anything. it had a soldered terminal on it. then the bolt going through the eye was tac welded. to get the wire off i heated the terminal and took the wire out. you should of cut off the soldered part before hooking it up it was less than an inch. i would have but forgot.

I figured as much but my dad was saying some BS about the solder not being conductive or whatever (yep, he's one of THOSE guys =/ ) but I also was wondering if maybe there wasn't enough contact with the solder and the blocks so cutting the solder off was done mostly to please him but also just a guess at the problem. Well, that and it had a little issue with sliding out of the block lol =P

Idk about it though. I mean, I never noticed the noise before, I guess it doesn't mean it wasn't there, but I really began to notice it when I swapped wires. I did change ground locations as well but it was just a move higher up the spare tire well, grind paint down, self tap it down. Both the mids and sub amps share the same ground spot. I don't know why it would be the ground but I guess I could try moving it just to check. I don't get why the mids amp isn't doing it though.

Most likely bad 12v buffer caps... although it could be a FET on the way out or even a transformer about to shit itself...

Looking at internal pics it's probably one of those caps right beside the power terminals... give them a gentle squeeze, they should be firm. Also look for any residue around the base.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Most likely bad 12v buffer caps... although it could be a FET on the way out or even a transformer about to shit itself...

Looking at internal pics it's probably one of those caps right beside the power terminals... give them a gentle squeeze, they should be firm. Also look for any residue around the base.

How would i check for a bad FET or transformer?

If the transformer is bad the amp's basically done, right?

Looking at the board right now, no caps look blown or anything, no discoloration on the transformer, dunno how to check the fets, but no obvious damage there either. Getting pics as we speak; being ninja'd with some advice would rock my socks off.

Archived