Help with box design for 1 18" DC level 5

curse

Well i'm talkin to a member here about buyin his 18" dc level 5 but first i got to make sure i can fit it decently in my trunk (wall is not an option and im not taking out the back seats).

my trunk is 16-17" high depending on location and im looking to run a box this size (optimum size without going into a different shape from square/rectangle):

32" wide, 16" tall, 30" deep. should be ~ 7.795 cu. ft before and displacement.

im lookin to have the box tuned to 31-33hz as i listen to mostly rap and techno. the sub specs according to DC site are:

Mounting Depth = 10.5

Mounting Hole Diameter = 16.75"

Motor Width = 9.84"

Weight =	  80.5lbs

VC Diameter = 3" Flat 8 layer

Sd = 1159.00 cm²

Suggested Ported =	  5³ ft

Suggested SPL Ported = 8³ ft

I was thinking of facing up towards the trunk/spoiler, as it obviouslly will not fit facing the license plate haha.

was planning to use .5" MDF with a double baffle due to the sub's weight, can do more if neccesary though.

Really wanting this setup but i wanted to check on spacial issues with all of you! Thanks ahead of time, can get any more information if needed, pics etc.

lance2.png

Well i'm talkin to a member here about buyin his 18" dc level 5 but first i got to make sure i can fit it decently in my trunk (wall is not an option and im not taking out the back seats).

my trunk is 16-17" high depending on location and im looking to run a box this size (optimum size without going into a different shape from square/rectangle):

32" wide, 16" tall, 30" deep. should be ~ 7.795 cu. ft before and displacement.

im lookin to have the box tuned to 31-33hz as i listen to mostly rap and techno. the sub specs according to DC site are:

Mounting Depth = 10.5

Mounting Hole Diameter = 16.75"

Motor Width = 9.84"

Weight =	  80.5lbs

VC Diameter = 3" Flat 8 layer

Sd = 1159.00 cm²

Suggested Ported =	  5³ ft

Suggested SPL Ported = 8³ ft

I was thinking of facing up towards the trunk/spoiler, as it obviouslly will not fit facing the license plate haha.

was planning to use .5" MDF with a double baffle due to the sub's weight, can do more if neccesary though.

Really wanting this setup but i wanted to check on spacial issues with all of you! Thanks ahead of time, can get any more information if needed, pics etc.

.5 MDF is a no no, at LEAST .75 if I was you.

reduces cu ft to 7.282 if i do that but its true that it may be neccesary due to such a heavy sub. there is a small black box on the trunk of my car that if i remove will give me a for more cu ft that could allow for 8 cubes before displacement with .75 wood, i'm pretty sure its the amplifier for the stock sub but i need to go look , gonna go do that.

Thanks for the input though!

lance2.png

reduces cu ft to 7.282 if i do that but its true that it may be neccesary due to such a heavy sub. there is a small black box on the trunk of my car that if i remove will give me a for more cu ft that could allow for 8 cubes before displacement with .75 wood, i'm pretty sure its the amplifier for the stock sub but i need to go look , gonna go do that.

Thanks for the input though!

Yeah 7.282 is plenty man

if i CAN remove this black box (which i no longer think is the amplifier since no coords run from it...) i can actually do 8 cu. ft with .75, still contemplating .5 with a double baffle for reinforcement though.

I never owned DC (though I plan on the future), but I recommend you do not use .5, you need a strong-ass box for that 15" monster, you'll also need bracing for sure.

if i CAN remove this black box (which i no longer think is the amplifier since no coords run from it...) i can actually do 8 cu. ft with .75, still contemplating .5 with a double baffle for reinforcement though.

That black box could have pins on the back that connect it (for quick disconnect/quick connect).

And you need at least .75, .5 will break and die with that sub on rated power!

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

its an 18" ;) but i suppose that .75 will be neccesary, if i can get this stupid box thing out of my trunk that i will Definitely be using .75 as it will be like .5 cu ft bigger even though the thickness has gone up, thanks to extra room gained.

Also, i could work a "T" shaped box in very nicely, but i'm not sure if it would sound very good in this type of enclosure?

pics of trunk:

img0057hq.th.jpg

img0052fs.th.jpg

img0053ne.th.jpg

link to album pics if they wont work for you:

http://img9.imageshack.us/g/img0057hq.jpg/

lance2.png

its an 18" ;) but i suppose that .75 will be neccesary, if i can get this stupid box thing out of my trunk that i will Definitely be using .75 as it will be like .5 cu ft bigger even though the thickness has gone up, thanks to extra room gained.

Also, i could work a "T" shaped box in very nicely, but i'm not sure if it would sound very good in this type of enclosure?

pics of trunk:

img0057hq.th.jpg

img0052fs.th.jpg

img0053ne.th.jpg

link to album pics if they wont work for you:

http://img9.imageshack.us/g/img0057hq.jpg/

Trunk dimensions?

Archived