noob need help planin a computer lol

The i7 920 and 9800GTX are both older models that have been replaced by better stuff at similar prices. I agree with Moti that the performance difference between a 1156-based computer and a 1366-based one isn't enough to justify the price difference. 6GB of ram is the sweet spot for i7-based systems, and I would stick with 4GB or MAYBE 8GB for an i5 setup. (the i7 uses a triple-channel memory controller, meaning your memory should be in multiples of 3. The i5 has a dual-channel one, so your memory will be the typical 2/4/8/etc GB setup.)

If you let us know what you plan on doing with this machine it'll help...you only NEED Tri-SLi if you're running 2 or 3 large (1920x1200) displays.

@Moti: A sound card is always a good idea if you can get one. Onboard sound gets a lot more noise from components on the motherboard, and rarely ever has as much dedicated circuitry as a PCI/PCIe card. Plus using onboard can decrease in-game performance because it offloads sound processing duties onto the CPU.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

If you are willing to drop a hundred or so on a sound card with x-ram go ahead... But other than on board sound works perfectly fine. Are you seriously an audiophile? Like it will completley depend on your speakers too. Logitechs don't cut it. I am talking about studio monitors...

777319156.png

The i7 920 by any means isn't old or out dated. But you would only go with an socket 1336 imo if you need that extra channel or pci-e lane.

An Silvia... if you are running multiple displays I like eyefinity

Edited by Moti
777319156.png

I'm running a Harman/Kardon speaker setup and Sennheiser headphones...with that stuff at least I notice a big difference. (Using the onboard of an ASUS P5Q Pro vs. the ASUS Xonar D1 dedicated)

My feedback thread

well i was thinking about dual 24" screens

and s15 it will be a gamein computer (wow stuff like that) and my every day computer

and im not goin 2 use some shity speakers on my sound card lol

Edited by 01zx3

CDyneSi_zps9638e5fa.jpg

VbjgkeI_zpsdd2219ec.jpg

deepsilencer, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:32, said:

splzx3, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:27, said:

i had my fun on one of his videos...till he blocked me then i got my mother into it lol after her he closed the comments xD

lol your mom is a G! good.gif

WTF, I never thought I'd have a conversation about cross dressers and trans-genders on a car audio forum.

Currently ATI parts destroy Nvidias... But the thing is they are having issues with yielding and producing 40nm gpus... So there isn't enough supply for all the demand. So hands down I would go with ATI.

777319156.png

well i was thinking about dual 24" screens

and s15 it will be a gamein computer (wow stuff like that) and my every day computer

and im not goin 2 use some shity speakers on my sound card lol

If you're going with dual 24s I would definitely say something like a 5870 if you can afford it ($450+) or a 5850 (~$300). You could also go with a GTX 275 or 285 and have no problem. (about the same price range) And if you've got good speakers, dropping $80 on a sound card will bring a lot more out of them than onboard sound ever will.

My feedback thread

If you're going with dual 24s I would definitely say something like a 5870 if you can afford it ($450+) or a 5850 (~$300). You could also go with a GTX 275 or 285 and have no problem. (about the same price range) And if you've got good speakers, dropping $80 on a sound card will bring a lot more out of them than onboard sound ever will.

well not goin 2 get it all at one tym it will be bought part by part

the price is not a major thing....but i dont want 2 spend a ton on just one part

CDyneSi_zps9638e5fa.jpg

VbjgkeI_zpsdd2219ec.jpg

deepsilencer, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:32, said:

splzx3, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:27, said:

i had my fun on one of his videos...till he blocked me then i got my mother into it lol after her he closed the comments xD

lol your mom is a G! good.gif

WTF, I never thought I'd have a conversation about cross dressers and trans-genders on a car audio forum.

I built mine over time...it shows. Haha I have an E8500 at 4.13GHz which is nice, but an 8800GTX video card. (Older but still holds it own)

I helped out another user with this...if you're gonna space out your purchases, start with a good motherboard/cpu/memory foundation and work on the video card and other peripherals after. You won't regret going this route, because starting with a fast cpu and memory will allow you to see more of the performance of a later-generation video card.

My feedback thread