alternator problems

ok just had the alternator reinstalled because something was wrong with it before (stinger highoutput alternator). everything was working for like a week but yesterday i was driving and the voltage dropped to 12 volts (heat, headlights and system on low). 2 mins later it went to normal voltage(13.9-14.2 at idle). today it did it again but many times from 12 volts then randomly normal then back to 12 volts. now on my way home it just stayed at 12 volts. is this a failed alternator???

also it is extremely cold out (20F) and before when the alternator had problems the battery and brake light came on to tell me that there was a charging problem but now it just doesnt turn on. and i know its not my voltmeter because i used a dmm for the battery under the hood and get the same reading.

It might be a problem with ur battery i had a similar problem a few months ago and found out that my battery had failed also u might want to check ur terminals going to ur battery and make sure they are clean. Also if u dont have an extra battery and a decent size system, ur system might be pulling to much from ur battery up front this is what happend to mine, i got an extra battery and it was a big difference now im doing the big three and that will help out even more. The only time right now that i see voltage drop is when im at a stop light or sign long enough with my music cranked. When i turn it down of course my needle doesnt move. Hope this can help you out.

TDHRIP_zps8bedfde5.jpg

06 Impala SS
Kenwood Excelon DDX593

Ampere Audio 150.4

Ampere Audio 5K
1 XS D4700 (front)
Mechman 320a Alt. w/ Big 3

Lots of Second Skin Damplifier

Under Construction for 2017

hmm.... i'd take ur battery out and get it checked out i really dont have any other answer than that. good luck on finding this problem out because i know how mad these stupid little problems make every1 feel. I dont really know much about those batterys, do they have cranking amp ratings and cold cranking amp ratings? ive got a yellow top optima in front and a stinger in back, system killed my first optima and got a replacement and then got that stinger battery and havent had a prob until what i mentioned in my last post, other than that the big three is my next step and see if it holds better at the lights and signs.

TDHRIP_zps8bedfde5.jpg

06 Impala SS
Kenwood Excelon DDX593

Ampere Audio 150.4

Ampere Audio 5K
1 XS D4700 (front)
Mechman 320a Alt. w/ Big 3

Lots of Second Skin Damplifier

Under Construction for 2017

Archived