Sonic Electronix

my brother got 2 12 in jl w6 subs and at low level they sound good but when he turns the radio past 15 the subs start to pop and they are hooked up to a jl 500.1 we dont know y because i got the same set up and i can turn mine all the way up and they dont pop and both amps and radios are set up the same what can be wrong with his the only dif between the 2 set ups is mine got a 3f power cap

Well first of all, the w6 is a 600w sub..and he's running two off a 500 watt amp?

i had my set up for the last 5 years and never had a problem and on jls websit they say the 500.1 is the perfect amp for the sub it says anything over 500 is bad

Maybe the 500.1 is good for one sub, but I can't imagine having two subs on half of their rated power being a good thing.

like i said not to be rude i had 2 w6s on a 500.1 for the last 5 years and i drive the car every day and they slam

like i said not to be rude i had 2 w6s on a 500.1 for the last 5 years and i drive the car every day and they slam

Swap set ups and report back.

Maybe the 500.1 is good for one sub, but I can't imagine having two subs on half of their rated power being a good thing.

that wont hurt the subs if its underpowered...only if the person has the gain set too high, aka trying to get more power out of an amp that wasnt designed to do so.

tell your brother to turn the gain down a little bit see if that allows him to turn the volume up higher

edit: also, what bass eq does he have turned on on the headunit, like bass boost or Loud or something. if he does tell him to turn it off permanently.

Edited by Kranny

that wont hurt the subs if its underpowered...only if the person has the gain set too high, aka trying to get more power out of an amp that wasnt designed to do so.

tell your brother to turn the gain down a little bit see if that allows him to turn the volume up higher

edit: also, what bass eq does he have turned on on the headunit, like bass boost or Loud or something. if he does tell him to turn it off permanently.

both amps are quarter way up on everything and they both have no bass boost or loud we both got alpine d300 tvs

What is the EQ Set At on the Head Unit

the only eq we have on the radio is bass and teable and the bass he has his on 0 because of the popin and i leave mine on 15 we are going to put his on my amp tomorrow and see if it still does it if so whats that mean his subs or messed up