Sonic Electronix

Hey guys, i just needed help on the gain setting equation using a DMM. The equation is simple but i wanted to know if i was doing it right

The equation itself is Voltage = sqrt(RMS Power of Amp*Impedance of the speaker(s))

So, i wanted to solve for 2 setups. (2) 1 ohm subwoofers and (2) 4 ohm subwoofers.

The amp itself is rated at 1200W @ 1 ohm. So if i were to plug in for the 1 ohm subs it would be V = sqrt(1200W*1ohm) so ultimately it would the sqrt of 1200? That will give me a voltage total of about 34.6V. I'm very unclear of how the impedance is supposed to work in this equation because it has 2 speakers. I'm assuming 1 ohm because the amplifier itself is set to have a 1 ohm load. Same with the 4 ohm subs, if the amp is set for a 1 ohm load on both speakers then it should be the sqrt of 1200. If anyone can clarify on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Side Question: Its said that if the rms rating of the amp is higher than the speaker, then i should use the speaker rms rather than the amp. but since i have two speakers that are both rated at 1000w rms and i'm not putting the entire amplfier onto one of them, its okay to use the amp rms, correct?

1200*4 = 4800

sqrt of 4800 = 69.28

i dont understand what you mean the amp is set for a 1 ohm load on both speakers...1 or 2 4ohm speakers cant be wired to 1 ohm. unless you have 2 dual 4 ohm speakers.

1200*4 = 4800

sqrt of 4800 = 69.28

i dont understand what you mean the amp is set for a 1 ohm load on both speakers...1 or 2 4ohm speakers cant be wired to 1 ohm. unless you have 2 dual 4 ohm speakers.

I have 2 dual 1 ohm speakers for one car and 2 dual 4 ohm speakers for another

Archived